• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

EME 35

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
My bud @mulehead1969 has a EME 35, runs strong transitions great, just hangs up at idle. You pull throttle back, and it hangs up around 2200-2400 ten to fifteen secs, and it drops to 1500 - 1700. Is it lean on the low end?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Did you try richening the low end to see??? But that type of engine behavior is normally indicative a we bit lean low end.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
THey did, but then they started turning both. The owner was going to pull cowl and see if carb was tight, and not sure what else he was gonna check. I added him to this, so he can respond on what he's doing. @mulehead1969

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Cool, I got a 70 NIB and I was wondering how this "cylinder coating stuff" was going to behave and I am not saying that's an issue. Jody and I have been tossing it back and forth a bit.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Owner pulled cowl, check carb tightness, and looking for air leaks, said he found nothing, everything looked good. He probably try to get it fired up, and mess with tune again today.

hamburger-waving-hello-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Generally...when you have an idle that hangs a bit high for a few seconds to 10 seconds, there is an air leak or a lean condition on the settings. A lean condition can be caused by internal carb issues also.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Owner and I talked yesterday, and the needles were all over the place, I can't remember which one, but one of the needles was 3 turns out. Strangely the engine ran very well at these setting, just wouldn't drop to idle. It was a messy rainy day yesterday, so he didn't get to fire it up. He's starting over on tune, turned everything in, and set back to manufactuers recommendations, and he'll go from there.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Owner and I talked yesterday, and the needles were all over the place, I can't remember which one, but one of the needles was 3 turns out. Strangely the engine ran very well at these setting, just wouldn't drop to idle. It was a messy rainy day yesterday, so he didn't get to fire it up. He's starting over on tune, turned everything in, and set back to manufactuers recommendations, and he'll go from there.

Best thing to do. Seems he had the low end WAY to lean and the engine was operating on the low end alone. That is very harmful and will fry an engine cylinder. I do not know how much fuel he has run through it but the typical adjustment is
1) Start at factory recommended setting.
2) Let engine run a bit to warm up.
3) Set peak RPM with H needle.
4) Check for smooth transition (adjust L in if hesitation is experienced out if idle is high).
Don't gun it checking transition. Nice and even throttle input.
As the engine "breaks in" it will slightly richen on the L needle.