• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

gyro

GSN Contributor
Yes, jwilliamsrc on rcgroups has done this. He is an ExtremeFlight team pilot.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2211767
You can see details there, he used a DA-50 and a pipe as well. He said it flies quite well like that. I almost did it with mine, but went with a da-35 at the last minute. I have a 50 I bought just for that too... it was used, and I can always re-sell it and not lose anything on it so no biggie.

He's here too: [MENTION=1144]jwilliams[/MENTION]

A DA-50 would go good in redwing slick. Mine is hovering around 16 pounds on a heavy OS GT60. It would also huck around a 3DHS 87 SHP. A buddy had a DA-50 and in the end he just sold it and went with a 60.

The DA-50 setup will be similar in weight to the 12s 5300 setup I am going with. Watch the SEFF videos and you will see it will fly in the 15 pound range.

Patrick's with DLE-35 and pipe is over 14 with fuel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone here run one of these with a DA50? I have searched all over for a new 3d airframe that a DA50 will be the perfect size for. Guess what, it seems that DA50 is either much too big, or too small. 88" -94" planes say 50cc, but everyone says 60cc to 70cc. The 74" to 78" call for a 35cc, but most say use the 40cc.

I am contemplating buying this airframe for my DA50 knowing it would be a pound+ overweight. Your thoughts on this, and the perfect 3D monster for a DA50

I did use the DA50 and ES Composites pipe on the 83" MXS and it is crazy power. I must caution anyone going with the setup to exercise throttle management. You are overpowering the airplane and throttle management is a must, but if you do it the plane performs incredibly. The roll rate is insame and it tracks very straight, mine came in at 14lbs RTF and I did put the ignition battery between the canopy and the tail for balance. I did not add any weight to attain a good CG. Gonna fly it tomorrow morning and hoping to get video.
Jeff

AKfreak

150cc
Here is Jeff's Video with the 50. This will be my new plane, and I will build a 35% this winter. Red or Yellow hmmm. Can anyone give me an idea of what they paid for shipping costs? $150? I am clueless.

[video=youtube_share;Oo0qDojyCdM]http://youtu.be/Oo0qDojyCdM[/video]

AKfreak

150cc
Whoo-Hoo I just placed my Order.

14668419689_6d3b8273f6_b.jpg

Patrick and I split it to a COMMERCIAL address and had them ship the 2 of them freight. It was $125 versus $140 each to our houses on UPS. Got here quicker to. I have gotten in the habit of combining orders with somebody else to save on the shipping as we are always waiting on a container it seems.

You doing the same setup? 50 with a ES pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan_m

100cc
Stuck my 76" MXS on the scale tonight, empty, with no gas it weighed in at 12lb 8oz.
This is a complete plane with everything but the side force generators on it. It didn't have either those or the tips on. Oh it also didn't have the landing gear cuffs, but did have wheel pants.
Setup is a DA-35, jtec pitts wraparound muffler, Mejzlik 20x8 carbon prop, carbon spinner from redwingrc, HS-7955's on tail, 7945TH on ailerons, 5665 on throttle. tech-aero IBEC for ignition, and two gens ace 2s2200 packs powering everything via a Spektrum powersafe 12120 rx.

Initial runup of the motor (no tuning) I got 7400 rpm on the 20x8 Mejzlik. This was just a test start in my yard to make sure all would be well at the field on saturday.

AKfreak

150cc
Patrick and I split it to a COMMERCIAL address and had them ship the 2 of them freight. It was $125 versus $140 each to our houses on UPS. Got here quicker to. I have gotten in the habit of combining orders with somebody else to save on the shipping as we are always waiting on a container it seems.

You doing the same setup? 50 with a ES pipe.

I think I am going to run the stock DA-50 Pipe. The tuned pipe is for power, and its quieter right? I don't need quiet, and the 50 on that plane will have gobs of power, so I don't see the need for a tuned pipe. Also the stock pipe has to be lighter than the tuned pipe, right? Whats your thoughts on the pipes?

The only thing the stock pipe worry's me is having to gut up the cowl too much. If I have to, I will go with the tuned pipe, but would like to avoid it if possible.

AKfreak

150cc
Stuck my 76" MXS on the scale tonight, empty, with no gas it weighed in at 12lb 8oz.
This is a complete plane with everything but the side force generators on it. It didn't have either those or the tips on. Oh it also didn't have the landing gear cuffs, but did have wheel pants.
Setup is a DA-35, jtec pitts wraparound muffler, Mejzlik 20x8 carbon prop, carbon spinner from redwingrc, HS-7955's on tail, 7945TH on ailerons, 5665 on throttle. tech-aero IBEC for ignition, and two gens ace 2s2200 packs powering everything via a Spektrum powersafe 12120 rx.

Initial runup of the motor (no tuning) I got 7400 rpm on the 20x8 Mejzlik. This was just a test start in my yard to make sure all would be well at the field on saturday.

Exciting days ahead. 12 and a half pounds is a great weight right? Gas will put you at 13+, that plane should fly real nice. With the DA 50 its a bit over 14 lbs and fly's real nice. Best of luck on Saturday, let us know how she did for ya.