• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
The only thing I've seen people mention it was the same as is the mintor 38.

I need to get a drill guide or I may just carefully use the prop washer and my drill press.
You can do it that way... just make sure you have a drill bit the same size as the center jole in the prop washer to hold the center.once your first hole is drilled just drop one of the prop bolts through it and finish the other holes.

I have drilled several 30cc props that way.

I got a request to show where I put stuff inside my plane so here are some shots.
Jeff

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 347
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 282
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 275

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
That's actually 6 oz lighter, after the gas version has been in the air for about 12 minutes. Add a pound to the gas version at takeoff.

But after 12 minutes in the air with the gas version, the electric version has been on recharge already for about 7 minutes. :)

Tough decision, but considering this power, and how quickly the e-versions goes together, it's a no-brainer for me. Time is a commodity for me so if it doesn't happen quickly, it's not going to happen at all.

The piped DA35 version with a half tank should be about 13.75 pounds.

Patrick reminded me his is 14.1 pounds with a piped DLE-35. I weighed it with my 5300s and it was hovering between 14.3 and 14.4 pounds. I will go through a lot of different combos before I find what I like. The CG is bothering me as even with the 3700s against the tube, it was too nosey for my tastes. I am not sure I can engineer the rudder servo into the tail. Only thing I can think of to save nose weight is to do wood dowel standoffs over the metal ones I have. It is not horribly nose heavy, just enough off to make certain moves not work out right like waterfalls and knife edge spins. I spent most of the day flying with "heavy" gas props, but I had ditched the spinner.

[MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION] gave me a heavy tail wheel once upon a time. I can try that if I can find it.

I posted this over on the RCG power systems thread.

Got 8-9 flights in today. Those first packs were the worst of the day. I tried my cobbled together 3700 packs and the RPMs shot up to 7850 on the 21x10. I think I forgot to watt meter this combo. Big difference.

After this I went my Gens Ace 5300 30c batteries that are 3 seasons old. I did a 7 minute flight and put 7419 back in.

Then I borrowed my buddies Mejzlik 23x8 evo gas prop. 105 amps, , 45 volts, 7750 RPM, WOW! I set the timer to 5 minutes and flew over over by 30 seconds. Put 6181 back in.

Next I flew with my Glacier 45C 5000s which are new, 5623 back in.

Then I changed to the Falcon 23x9 gas I have. 109 amps, 45-46V under load, 7500 RPM. 5672 back in after 5 minutes.

I have not recharged the rest of the packs from my flights so no numbers yet.

I will have to work on getting better props on Monday. I think tower has the 22x10s and I have a e-mail out to DA about some other stuff. I have a 22x10 APC, but it is HEAVY. The same buddy is letting me borrow a 22x8 PJA so I will try that next.

The CG with all the sets of batteries against the tube is a bit on the nose heavy side. Nothing ridiculous, but enough to make waterfalls not great and a few other pitch moves I like. I will try my 3300s also and see if I can get a little better.

AKfreak

150cc
I have many electrics and plan to fly the gas planes when the electric are charging. I have 8 packs for my 12S setup, this gives me for 7 mins flights, and when the packs are flown off, I am standing there waiting. I charge all my packs at 1C so they take a while.

I thought Jeff said his DA50 version was 14 lbs AUW (wet), regardless 6oz plus or minus isn't going to make the plane fly with a night and day difference. Beind able to flil it up (16 oz) and fly for 10 mis will be great. I can fly all day long, and not have to wait for anything.

I love my electrics, no dead sticks, and the power is instant on. I hope I come to love Gas planes as much as I do electrics. I will say that I prefer the sound of a Gas plane, specifically one that is tuned well, and has enough power to rip a big A$$ prop.

I know some of the guys (Joe Smith) who fly big electrics prefer them to gas planes. I think there is a place for both, and I look forward to getting mine in the air as soon as possible.

AKfreak

150cc
Patrick reminded me his is 14.1 pounds with a piped DLE-35. I weighed it with my 5300s and it was hovering between 14.3 and 14.4 pounds. I will go through a lot of different combos before I find what I like. The CG is bothering me as even with the 3700s against the tube, it was too nosey for my tastes. I am not sure I can engineer the rudder servo into the tail. Only thing I can think of to save nose weight is to do wood dowel standoffs over the metal ones I have. It is not horribly nose heavy, just enough off to make certain moves not work out right like waterfalls and knife edge spins. I spent most of the day flying with "heavy" gas props, but I had ditched the spinner.

[MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION] gave me a heavy tail wheel once upon a time. I can try that if I can find it.

I posted this over on the RCG power systems thread.

Got 8-9 flights in today. Those first packs were the worst of the day. I tried my cobbled together 3700 packs and the RPMs shot up to 7850 on the 21x10. I think I forgot to watt meter this combo. Big difference.

After this I went my Gens Ace 5300 30c batteries that are 3 seasons old. I did a 7 minute flight and put 7419 back in.

Then I borrowed my buddies Mejzlik 23x8 evo gas prop. 105 amps, , 45 volts, 7750 RPM, WOW! I set the timer to 5 minutes and flew over over by 30 seconds. Put 6181 back in.

Next I flew with my Glacier 45C 5000s which are new, 5623 back in.

Then I changed to the Falcon 23x9 gas I have. 109 amps, 45-46V under load, 7500 RPM. 5672 back in after 5 minutes.

I have not recharged the rest of the packs from my flights so no numbers yet.

I will have to work on getting better props on Monday. I think tower has the 22x10s and I have a e-mail out to DA about some other stuff. I have a 22x10 APC, but it is HEAVY. The same buddy is letting me borrow a 22x8 PJA so I will try that next.

The CG with all the sets of batteries against the tube is a bit on the nose heavy side. Nothing ridiculous, but enough to make waterfalls not great and a few other pitch moves I like. I will try my 3300s also and see if I can get a little better.

Cant you move one pack behind the tube, and slide the other forward to even the load. As to the prop, those heavy gas props have to be hard on the motor right. I love the Falcon Beech wood props for electrics. They are nice and light, and make tons of thrust. Remember if you go over the 20X8 props, you need to pick up a Falcon spacer kit as they drill a large diameter hole on the bigger props. I have a 21x10 Falcon on my Electric 30cc Extra, and it is the perfect prop for me.

Hey did you get any video?

No video as this was the first day and I dink around too much for anything meaningful. I can drag the camera with me and see if anyone will man it. It might be handheld, which is better than none. Option B is to use my gopro, which I keep forgetting about is in the truck, doh, that is why I bought it.

I use 8mm ID, 10mm OD tubing for bushings. I had to do this all the time with my OS GT33s, so this is a standard field box item for me.

I was using a Falcon 21x10 actually today for the first few flights. I have the Xoar on my 72 Extra.

This motor is a absolute beast and it did not care how big of a prop I put on it. I have a 150A ESC (Gecko with the beta firmware) so the batts are the weak point in this power system. I am only using gas props because I have not gotten the shipment of Xoars and Falcons I ordered. No one around here does large electrics. I can use the APC I have, just I think the gas props might be lighter!

Another thing about weights is that it all depends on what scale you are using. In the shop I use my postal scale. In the field I use a digital fish scale. I might try the digital household scale, but that will scare me as I have to weight myself first and do the math with the plane as I hold it.