• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Give ol mate at DLengines Aus a call he sells the ibec's and swears by them. I just ordered a DX18QQ with the power box rx and I'll be using an ibec on my next gassa

Mate, thats the IBEC I plan to go with, its the Tech Aero Ultra which is the one IBEC that never seems to get complaints.

Now Park- the reason for Lipo or LiFe is the volts, 7.4V which the HV servos are designed for. faster and stronger.

The interesting statement about lipos catching fire in a crash is pretty funny really.

I have only flown electric planes in my own fleet and so far thousands of flights across 16 different planes in my hanger. Many, many, many, many crashes. many fatal to the airframe and motor and never one single puffed, exploding, catch on fire lipo ever.

My lipos are usually very, hot after hard runs in some cases pulling over 100A peak out of 4s4000 packs and all is good.

I know in the old days of lipo's there were cases of them catching fire and I still hear these stories all the time at the club but to be honest I've not heard of it personally in my case.

The issue with lipos I've heard is 1. Voltage sag and 2. robustness under the vibration of gas motors.

The tabs that are welded onto the lipo cells to allow series connection is pretty fragile. there have been cases where these things break from vibration in flight and/or short out.

having said that lipos have come a very, very long way in the last several years and most servo makers are targeting lipo setups in gas planes these days, hence I ask the question.

If I ran lipos, I'd be taking them out of the plane to charge and store them away from the plane when not in use. Charge them up to go fly and at the end of the day, remove them as I am packing up the airframe.

If they are mounted in a location easy to get to this is no harder then any electric setup we all currently fly with.

And at $15 for a good 2s2600 size pack versus $55 for Fromeco 2s2600 packs its a world of difference if the lipos survive the vibrations of the motor?

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Give ol mate at DLengines Aus a call he sells the ibec's and swears by them. I just ordered a DX18QQ with the power box rx and I'll be using an ibec on my next gassa

One other word for you Feral wrt Tx.

'FUTABA'

Even on cheap orange futaba Rx I can run up to 9V no problems.

hone

150cc
Roger i'm using that Tech Aero IBEC. It's very simple and seems to do the job. That's the one my friend has used on a few of his 50cc planes. I like it so far.

Feral

One other word for you Feral wrt Tx.

'FUTABA'

Even on cheap orange futaba Rx I can run up to 9V no problems.

You mean F@&:TABA or FUTARDA. There's better radios than that out there they go by the name of SPEKTRUM I wouldn't trust a fuchaffa in an EF

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Roger i'm using that Tech Aero IBEC. It's very simple and seems to do the job. That's the one my friend has used on a few of his 50cc planes. I like it so far.

My mate in the 70" EG yak has gone to that IBEC as well Joe and its sweet as. No feedback issues to servos and duel LiFePo packs for Rx.
He is running 2 x 2s1400 LiFePo packs and gets about 8 flights without issue out of them.

Supposedly they have flatter discharge then a lipo but having said that a good lipo of same capacity should be pretty flat discharge as well I would think.

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
You mean F@&:TABA or FUTARDA. There's better radios than that out there they go by the name of SPEKTRUM I wouldn't trust a fuchaffa in an EF

That's harsh mate.... you been hanging around the club flyers too much I think.

There's an army of dudes out there very happy with Futaba, my 8FG Super is rock solid, never lost a signal and no glitches what so ever.

I am scared to replaced it one day just in case I get a dud one. but so far so good.

Feral

Just muckin round bud it's the 8fg that turned me off futaba trying to help my mate out with his extra and the 8fg did my head in he's upgrading it to the 14sg his first radio was a futaba mine was a speky it Holden and ford really

harddrive8

New to GSN!
I have the Fut 8fg and the Spek dx8. I actually like my 8fg a lil better and kept the sppek to cover my bnf helis and micros. I have had a couple isolated issues with spek in the past losing signal. Havent had the spek but about 5 mo. But no issues at all with it. To each their own, but they both have lots of great features and both have their drawbacks.

Just muckin round bud it's the 8fg that turned me off futaba trying to help my mate out with his extra and the 8fg did my head in he's upgrading it to the 14sg his first radio was a futaba mine was a speky it Holden and ford really