• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

Bigroger

70cc twin V2
Sounds like you get great bang for your buck with the 91''. Can't wait to hear what you think of how it flies! It's absolutely beautiful and if it flies half as good as it looks it'll be amazing.

From what I've seen, it looks like it flys similar to the little 60" extra except with bigger motor and servos.

I've got the futaba BLS157 HV servos on 2s lipos.

And I will say this: they are damn fast. Much faster then the hitec 7245HV in the 60" and swinging these big surfaces its like a fan in your face.

doing elevator full up and full down feels like it could move the plane forward on the ground!!

Having owned most all of these sizes of airplanes I personally think the 30cc class is the best compromise. The 60" size requires the same cost in servos (7245s) and almost the same in power system. The cost of the airframe and transport are the main down sides, but you get a 10-11 lb plane instead of a 5-6.

For the 15cc project I am going to do I had to venture back into the 60" size, but this plane will end up as expensive as a 30cc plane in the end I bet.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Having owned most all of these sizes of airplanes I personally think the 30cc class is the best compromise. The 60" size requires the same cost in servos (7245s) and almost the same in power system. The cost of the airframe and transport are the main down sides, but you get a 10-11 lb plane instead of a 5-6.

For the 15cc project I am going to do I had to venture back into the 60" size, but this plane will end up as expensive as a 30cc plane in the end I bet.

It'll be interesting to compare the balance sheets at the end of the day.
I agree that the 30/35cc size is the best compromise, however 50cc is definitely more fun to fly!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
It seems for the general RC enthusiast "plus" the TH type foamies are the fun, backyard/ practice planes, the 48" are the "first balsa and fun huckin" plane. The 60" is a easily transported "convenient" flying plane with similar characteristics to larger airframes. The 30-35 cc seems to be a sweet spot of economy, transportability, performance, availability and fun. Anything larger (for the wagon and smaller crowd) enters into alternate transport. That's a deal breaker for me at this point. With a 35 cc. I can bring a 78", a 60", maybe a 48" and an edf to the field. I'm really looking forward to owning a 35 cc.

Here is my cost comparison for 60" versus 70". I will stick to EF stuff. Most of this type stuff I get from tower and use their coupons which average 15% off, so prices reflect that. RX and misc cost like spinners and props are close, although the 70" is more.

60" EXP combo $430
4x 7245 $216

$646+RX, shipping ,batts, and misc.

70" EXP $389
4x 5685 $145
Motrolfly 4325-380 $170
Talon 90 ESC $66

$770 +RX, shipping, batts, and misc.

15cc project
60" EXP $260
15GX $250
Hyde mount $70
Jtec muffler $88
fuel tank $20
IBEC $40
4x 7245 $216
1x 5087 $34 (throttle)

$978 +RX, shipping, batts and misc!

This is not even including the materials I will need to use to modify the airframe. The electrics also need battery cost so this will come more in line, but that is dependent on your current LiPo stockpile. There are so many good choices in standard size servos and not many in Minis, which to me drives up this cost on the 60" airframes. For $20 more on the 70" airframe you can have the outstanding Hacker A60-6XS. To some the car size transport in the 60" class makes it perfect. When I go RCing I take my F150 which is perfect for the 30cc size.

Looking at my horrible schedule till Jersey I doubt I will get the 15cc project done, but you never know. One good "bad" weather day or two and I might blaze through it. The 110 Yak is priority #1 for a while and my motor is not even on the it's way back from DA yet. I will do up the full build thread when I get to it.

hone

150cc
Thanks for the info. I can't believe the 15cc project comes out to so much $.

I got a video today of the 48'' Extra. I think everyone needs one of these. It makes you want to fly harder.

Watch in HD
[video=youtube;Y9hFnZbEJCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hFnZbEJCY[/video]

Since I don't have any 6S 3300s anymore, doing the electric would be not much cheaper. I might have skipped the Hyde mount and rigged it so I could use the torpedo muffler that came with it which would have brought the price down. I have hope that the 15cc will be a good performer and flight times will be in the 20+ minute range.

If you are OK with the HS-225MG or the Spektrum 5040s, the 60" price drops to where you think it should be in this range. I am trying the Spektrum's in the 10cc Sabre but only have a few flights on them.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thanks for the info. I can't believe the 15cc project comes out to so much $.

I got a video today of the 48'' Extra. I think everyone needs one of these. It makes you want to fly harder.

Watch in HD
[video=youtube;Y9hFnZbEJCY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9hFnZbEJCY[/video]

Hey Hone, where did the 78 extra thread go? Can't find it. I wanted to pick up with mine. Just finished the vinyl! Doing the servo setup and the engine this week.