• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Foamies!!!

Dan crash O

New to GSN!
Xpress;20548 wrote: Thats my club, and fellow pilot!!!

Honestly, I flew one before and while the size factor was cool, just prepare yourself for some funny tendencies due to the short wingspan. Fun airplane to huck though.

Cool thanks. Have to try it, I have 10m of led lights here to go on it as well. Needed a big night flyer for the cook factor lol

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Ohio AV8TOR;20568 wrote: Welders adhesive is the way to go on foamy's

Depends on the area. I use Foam Safe CA on most of my foamed in low stress areas such as control horns, servo mounts, carbon rod, and along the mid section of fuselage joints. I use White Gorilla Glue around high stress areas such as landing gear or motor mounts since it is an incredibly strong adhesive but won't get brittle.

I have used this technique for years and have found the glue joints don't really break. It's always the foam that snaps before the glue joint. Silicone based glues can add unnecessary weight to the airframe.

Welder glue is great on EPP.  It will eat at Depron as the solvent is evaporating.  There are a couple other flexible glues that work on EPP (E6000, FoamTac, Uhu Por etc...).  Foam safe CA is brittle but there's not many other options for Depron that I've heard so far.  Glad to hear about the Gorilla option above.

Twisted Hobbys foamies are the best in terms of durability and flyability.  They are very well supported by Brad the owner.  The customer Service is awesome.  Tons of models to choose from... there's a new twin motor EPP water plane that just came out last week.  There are big foamies and small, like the 22" mini crack yak.  There are rumored to be a couple new mini options in the works for release this year.  Check out the site; there's lights, motors, batteries, ESCs and everything you could need.  End of rant 
dancing-chicken.gif

Can't wait.  Indoor this Sunday.  Try not to chop up too many of those night vapors!!! 
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Wacobipe

100cc
Foamies suck the life outa me...it just isn't my thing. HOWEVER, I did just buy a Radian Pro To try out the thermalling thing. I've only been out once, and now I've changed CG, Tail incidence, and a bunch of other stuff to make it thermal better ( based on Paul Naton videos from RadioCarbonArt)... So off to the field this weekend to try it out!

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Somehow I've managed to strip 2 HS65HB's on my 48" DW Juka.... One on Aileron and one on Rudder... :confused:

Probably going to start swapping them out for HS65MG's.