• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Futaba 16sz

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
This is kind of turning into a radio debate... But I give in!!!
I want Hitec resolution and pricing, with a 18SZ or 12X interface, and Spectum PowerSafe Receivers with satellite Rx's. Maybe I just need to go back to the late 90's and just buy crystals for whatever Rx I wanted.... :thumbsdown: I like the modern technology, I remember waiting turns to fly on channel 57... :lol2:
Would really like to see Futaba come through with a 12SZ for $600 and a fully assignable 12ch reciever similar to a Powersafe Rx... but until then...
Need to figure out If it's worth getting a 16/18sz and being forced to buy two 7ch rx's at $130 each to get my 10 channels I want for Rx redundancy.
Saw on tower someone asking if the 8FG can be expanded to a 12ch using the new R7014SB, not sure if that means SBUS or not.... but that would help me with getting the extra channels I need.
The big question I have been struggling with - is it time to finish riding this wave and make the swim out to the deep end and and start a new one with Spek.... buying rx's is the scariest part!
I wish futaba did a better job posting specks like resolution and gimbals not just details of what they can to (which is impressive!).
Ok heh, but really... :focus:

Sounds like the 18SZ has better gimbals, couple extra channels, and a shiny cover then the 16SZ. Trying to find the Specs on which gimbals and Pots do they both have and what does the 8FG have?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
This is kind of turning into a radio debate... But I give in!!!
I want Hitec resolution and pricing, with a 18SZ or 12X interface, and Spectum PowerSafe Receivers with satellite Rx's. Maybe I just need to go back to the late 90's and just buy crystals for whatever Rx I wanted.... :thumbsdown: I like the modern technology, I remember waiting turns to fly on channel 57... :lol2:
Would really like to see Futaba come through with a 12SZ for $600 and a fully assignable 12ch reciever similar to a Powersafe Rx... but until then...
Need to figure out If it's worth getting a 16/18sz and being forced to buy two 7ch rx's at $130 each to get my 10 channels I want for Rx redundancy.
Saw on tower someone asking if the 8FG can be expanded to a 12ch using the new R7014SB, not sure if that means SBUS or not.... but that would help me with getting the extra channels I need.
The big question I have been struggling with - is it time to finish riding this wave and make the swim out to the deep end and and start a new one with Spek.... buying rx's is the scariest part!
I wish futaba did a better job posting specks like resolution and gimbals not just details of what they can to (which is impressive!).
Ok heh, but really... :focus:

Sounds like the 18SZ has better gimbals, couple extra channels, and a shiny cover then the 16SZ. Trying to find the Specs on which gimbals and Pots do they both have and what does the 8FG have?

I know your feeling I believe most of us have the same problem love what we have just missing a few or one thing. Like me have a JR12x love the radio does everything I need just no telemetry and a bit of a bugger to program compared to buddies Spectrum 9x. Gimbals are one of the best. And all the new radios are adding stuff that do not help me fly or make my plane connect better to me just added gimmicks that are at times nice to have but hard to justify buying a new radio and ten receivers. Just my humble opinion.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
If you guys had any class at all you'd get yourself one of these beauties.

In 1980 it was the coolest thing you could get. Even Carrie Fisher had one.:lol2:

20171230_213542_001_resized.jpg
20171230_213629_resized.jpg
20171230_213749_resized.jpg
20171230_213757_resized.jpg
The-Blues-Brothers-Carrie-Fisher.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If you guys had any class at all you'd get yourself one of these beauties.

In 1980 it was the coolest thing you could get. Even Carrie Fisher had one.:lol2:

View attachment 101048 View attachment 101049 View attachment 101050 View attachment 101051 View attachment 101052

Man o man I remember that radio it was the holy grail of radios at the time not a lot of people could afford that radio at the time. Must admit radios have come a long way. I still remember when I could not reverse the servo on the radio and how difficult it was turn things around to make it work properly. Boy have things changed in a very short time. Just a question did any of you guys build the Heith kits in the time.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Man o man I remember that radio it was the holy grail of radios at the time not a lot of people could afford that radio at the time. Must admit radios have come a long way. I still remember when I could not reverse the servo on the radio and how difficult it was turn things around to make it work properly. Boy have things changed in a very short time. Just a question did any of you guys build the Heith kits in the time.

During that time I was more in to the Hi-Fi end of Heith Kits and blew pay checks at Radio Shack. Yes how times have changed.

And as I recall....The first Futaba digital proportional "full house" mode 2 AM radios went for over 600 bucks in 1967.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
During that time I was more in to the Hi-Fi end of Heith Kits and blew pay checks at Radio Shack. Yes how times have changed.

And as I recall....The first Futaba digital proportional "full house" mode 2 AM radios went for over 600 bucks in 1967.
Can you imagine the was like one month of wages to buy the radio.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
DANG! Not quite a months worth, a little shy of 3/4ths. If only it could wash my dishes, dust my furniture, vacuum my carpets, do my laundry, cook me awesome meals, do the grocery shopping, feed and play with little Mr., wait patiently at the door for my arrivals from UPS, FEDEX, USPS, Keep its trap shut and snuggle with me at night and do all this while smiling....yeah! I'd buy one. hearty-laugh.gif

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
DANG! Not quite a months worth, a little shy of 3/4ths. If only it could wash my dishes, dust my furniture, vacuum my carpets, do my laundry, cook me awesome meals, do the grocery shopping, feed and play with little Mr., wait patiently at the door for my arrivals from UPS, FEDEX, USPS, Keep its trap shut and snuggle with me at night and do all this while smiling....yeah! I'd buy one. View attachment 101056

I thought you had red heads to do that already :confused: ??? :laughing:.