• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Gluing Robart Hinges

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Gorilla glue works great. My only issue is I can never control the amount to use and for me it always swells out the hing and gets over everything. I'll stick to using gorilla glue for wing sheeting. Its great for that and I can sand it. Otherwise I just make a big mess!! LOL

Al

capthis

70cc twin V2
I never thought to wash my hinges before but it makes sense.

I have always used Vaseline or KY on the hinge itself to keep the GG out of the hinge. The excess that spooges out is pretty easy to pick back off.

It's pretty easy to get the Vaseline in the hinge if you put some in an epoxy cup and warm it in microwave for about 6 seconds and then just dip hinge in folded over. Obviously you gotta be careful not to get it on the barbs etc.

Using titebond would eliminate this step. But if your hinge holes are getting loose GG is the way to go or plug and drill new holes.

As someone else mentioned a q-tip is the best way to wet each hinge hole.

Great info guys thanks for sharing!

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Heating the vaseline is a good trick. I usually use an empty coke/beer can and flip it over and put a little gob in there and then use a small butane torch to heat it. Works great.

For clean up, I punch a hole in blue painters tape and tape that over the hinge. I use hysol mainly which leaves very little mess and about 30 minutes after gluing I'll pull the tape out and let it finish curing. Leaves hardly any clean up. The times i've done this with gorilla glue I end up with that crap everywhere...sometimes on crap that I'm not even working on...its just like it pops up like a little demon.

JBenson

50cc
I second Al's comments about titebond. I used it on several of my models including my Dalton and it works perfectly. I used to use Gorilla Glue but it seamed like no matter how much I cleaned up the overflow it always left the wing and surface stained.

Just my .02.

JB

BalsaDust

Ok you guys have convinced me. I will try titebond II on the dubro hinges in my PAU 30% Sukhoi when I start stuffing it in the coming weeks.