• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Gorilla Glue

I used the same glue for hinges that I used to glue wood sheeting onto the foam cores of my last three planes and it has worked and held up well. That glue is EZ-Poxy! It has at least a two hour pot life and can be thinned with methyl alcohol, I did the ailerons and rudder side first. I used a glue gun to fill the hinge holes with the resin and made sure the glue went all the way down the hole by inserting an 1/8" dowel and "felt" where the glue level was and added more it needed. Then I inserted each hinge, wiped away any excess and waited overnight to see the results!! Viola - it worked! The ailerons and rudder were then done next using the same technique.

I really wasn't worried that the resin wouldn't hold because it's physical properties indicated that it was stronger than two part epoxy (like Zap 30 min).

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Honestly they make like a jillion different versions and I have to look at my old orders or the tube to remember what to buy.

There is a chart on McMaster Carr website that lists all the properties, cure times, etc. I've considered a few of these before, but that's where I usually look. Not sure if it's the best place to buy it or not. I'm going to try some for cowl ring installation I think.

emtp275

100cc
I just finished a build in the past month and all hinges were done with regular gorilla and water, It was my first with this over epoxy but i wanted to try something new, I did use painters tape with a half circle punched in it in the covering, one piece on the top of both surfaces as well as the bottom, I cleaned up the foam that came out after about 45min and when i pulled the tape off the next day i had a clean hinge and it seems to hold well after pulling and tugging and a few flights im happy with the results, Plus I could glue one surface in my spare time and not have to mix glue that was later wasted.

sweetpea

100cc
There is a chart on McMaster Carr website that lists all the properties, cure times, etc. I've considered a few of these before, but that's where I usually look. Not sure if it's the best place to buy it or not. I'm going to try some for cowl ring installation I think.

Every cowl ring I have ever done was with Hysol. Run your finger around the edges and it looks like a nice caulk seal!

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I have had "perceived" issues with Gorilla Glue on hinges in my EF 48" Extra EXP. I say perceived, because it looked like the hinges came clean out. But the crash was BAD and I did not do the installation. So, I avoid it. But, only out of conservatism. I epoxy all hinge points and CA all CA Hinges.

kork

70cc twin V2
I glued in some hinges last night and wanted to share a couple photos. I just ran out to the shop and it literally took 10 minutes and all nuggets are off and cleaned up. I spray WD40 on a rag and wipe down leading and trailing edges before I glue. Then you can see the dried poly nuggets fall right off of the mono. Final wipe with denatured alcohol/finished. I have done testes with spare hinges and balsa and literally the hinge will break before it pulls out of the joint.
There are times when epoxy is used but these aerobatic birds are a piece of cake with the gorilla.

My 2c
Terry/ I tried for the first time with no Vaseline on the joints for the rudder and you were right/ they popped right off.
Yea, I know I got a little wild on the glue..

Attachments

• IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_1731.JPG
    IMG_1731.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1733.JPG
    IMG_1733.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1734.JPG
    IMG_1734.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_1735.JPG
    IMG_1735.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 456

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Love the WD40 idea!!! Been using GG for hinging for a few years and never had one torn loose! I used to use blue tape over the holes before gluing to make cleanup easy, but will try the WD40 next time!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Love the WD40 idea!!! Been using GG for hinging for a few years and never had one torn loose! I used to use blue tape over the holes before gluing to make cleanup easy, but will try the WD40 next time!

Agreed, super idea! I'm always pissed when removing the tape lifts the coveing and you have to iron all the hinge lines!:omg:

jymz

30cc
Cool idea on the WD40 and thanks for sharing the pics. I'm thinking I comfortable now with using the Gorilla Glue.