• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help us make an Old man smile

emtp275

100cc
P2011590.JPG
Ok to start with i know this is not Giant Scale, @ChickenBalls has been helping one of our older members that can no longer fly alone or put planes together but he loves to fly, He wants a new stick and due to Chicken Balls being busy I have decided to take on the task of building our old timer an Electric powered big stick any one who has seen this done or that has any advice please speek up this plane was never ment for a electric set up and any advice would be great. Thanks!

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Thank you for the help mucho appreciated. We should have hit Lowes while we were in Aberdeen while ago, see if we could find some stand offs. Let me know your next day off, and we'll get together, get you a battery, and one of the A9's. BTW being DD driver "SUCKS"

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It's actually pretty simple to convert a glow airplane to electric. The first thing you generally want to do is decide what kind of flight performance you want out of that airplane. Since it is a sport airplane and your old timer friend may not be into the ballsy 3D kind of power we generally prefer, I am going to assume you are going after sporty performance. Great Planes/Electrifly has already taken a LOT of the guesswork out of selecting a power system and has designed electric motors with glow number designations. For example, the Rimfire .55 42-60-480 outrunner will provide more than plenty of power and spirited performance for that airplane on a 5 cell battery. If you can fit a 6 cell inside of that fuselage you will see extremely strong vertical power (near 3D) so the motor allows for a lot of room to adjust performance based upon the pilot.

You already have a good speed controller as well, one with a built in BEC so there is no need for a separate receiver battery. You will want to experiment with different propeller sizes as well to adjust performance and give the maximum flight times. Star with a 13x10 electric propeller and adjust from there.

There is also a couple of different ways you can mount the motor. First is just bolting it directly to the firewall with the included "X" style mount. Second is to use a much stronger outrunner box from Great Planes. Either way will work, which you choose is up to you. It's not really difficult to convert an airplane to electric nowadays, especially since a lot of manufacturers are starting to designate glow motor equivalents with their outrunner motors.

emtp275

100cc
It's actually pretty simple to convert a glow airplane to electric. The first thing you generally want to do is decide what kind of flight performance you want out of that airplane. Since it is a sport airplane and your old timer friend may not be into the ballsy 3D kind of power we generally prefer, I am going to assume you are going after sporty performance. Great Planes/Electrifly has already taken a LOT of the guesswork out of selecting a power system and has designed electric motors with glow number designations. For example, the Rimfire .55 42-60-480 outrunner will provide more than plenty of power and spirited performance for that airplane on a 5 cell battery. If you can fit a 6 cell inside of that fuselage you will see extremely strong vertical power (near 3D) so the motor allows for a lot of room to adjust performance based upon the pilot.

You already have a good speed controller as well, one with a built in BEC so there is no need for a separate receiver battery. You will want to experiment with different propeller sizes as well to adjust performance and give the maximum flight times. Star with a 13x10 electric propeller and adjust from there.

There is also a couple of different ways you can mount the motor. First is just bolting it directly to the firewall with the included "X" style mount. Second is to use a much stronger outrunner box from Great Planes. Either way will work, which you choose is up to you. It's not really difficult to convert an airplane to electric nowadays, especially since a lot of manufacturers are starting to designate glow motor equivalents with their outrunner motors.

Power will not be an issue as there is a rimfire .80 to go with this set up on 6s, as of rite now i plan on a motor box i have painted it in the stone finish like i do my gassers just for looks here but small things like hooking up the nose gear and mounting the ESC come into question and im sure ill figure it out but it is nice to know what others are using with out issue before I play trial and error

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
@Xpress it'll have rimfire .80 on 6s 5000 Mr. Herb likes to go fast, and yank. We or I should say @emtp275 is hoping the motor box off the Escapade will work on this stick if not just gonna make some stand offs. I think he is thinking on how to get some air over ESC, or just mount the sucker to the side, and let it ride. The little one of these sticks .25, I burnt 2 ESC ups, finally stuck it on outside, and flew it till Herb killed it:roflmao:

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Power will not be an issue as there is a rimfire .80 to go with this set up on 6s, as of rite now i plan on a motor box i have painted it in the stone finish like i do my gassers just for looks here but small things like hooking up the nose gear and mounting the ESC come into question and im sure ill figure it out but it is nice to know what others are using with out issue before I play trial and error

DID it work?

emtp275

100cc
DID it work?

Yes sir the bolts line up perfect and i painted it so tuesday ill mount it, I also glued the glow motor mount togther and will cut just the wheel mout from the top and bottom and screw it inside of the motor box this should take care of half of the conversion battle.