• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you @ryan_m for taking the time to write all this info and yes you have helped a lot. The two ARF's that I have one is PrecisionAerobatics plane Addiction XL and the second is from aeroworks Pro 260. Nobody in our club does 3D so I am on my own have to teach myself. There is only 6 of us in the club, i belive the nearest club that does 3D is at least 2 hours drive. The suggestion on throws was great because I was going to start out at reduced throws and work my way up into it. I will look into EF 60 inch electric plane. When you say harrier flying you fly down the runway nose up at least 45 degrees and control it for a distance. Thanks again.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@Jetpainter thanks for helping on the one you are using I will get the one with the transmitter. I do have a spare 40 inch tv that is not being used that will be a big help in seeing the plane. Now it is just a matter of getting the simulator and hooking it all up and teaching my self. It is still freezing cold here and still have some time to practice in on the simulator. I bet this is going eat into my building time how addictive is it. Thanks again.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow how old is that one it most likely does not even have 3D planes on it what year is that from.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I don't remember but the yak rates are adjustable to full 3d. It'll hover just like the real thing.

ryan_m

100cc
Thank you @ryan_m for taking the time to write all this info and yes you have helped a lot. The two ARF's that I have one is PrecisionAerobatics plane Addiction XL and the second is from aeroworks Pro 260. Nobody in our club does 3D so I am on my own have to teach myself. There is only 6 of us in the club, i belive the nearest club that does 3D is at least 2 hours drive. The suggestion on throws was great because I was going to start out at reduced throws and work my way up into it. I will look into EF 60 inch electric plane. When you say harrier flying you fly down the runway nose up at least 45 degrees and control it for a distance. Thanks again.
The Addiction XL is an excellent plane to learn with. No need for the EF Edge if you have that. The only thing with the Addictions are that they are SO light that hovering them is almost like cheating and when you try to fly something else it's a bit of a learning curve to get used to a plane with a heavier wing loading. The Aeroworks... I have a buddy with one, and I've never found any love for that plane. I came up learning on profile planes, and I do like those. But the Aeroworks one, well not so much. I'd focus on the Addiction personally. Get really comfortable with it and get lower and lower. It's honestly way easier to hover a plane at 10 feet high than at 30. I know it sounds crazy, but it is. You can see what's happening with the plane when it's that low. But work on the harriers, back and forth down the runway with nice smooth turns. Then doing figure 8's. When you can do those nicely, find a day where the wind is a crosswind across the runway and blowing into your face. Do a harrier into the wind, and the plane will basically be doing a hover, the harrier is stationary. Then you can get your hovering down solid... for me it just 'clicked' on a day like that and I was able to hover easily after that. All the harrier work gets your fingers used to recovering the plane quickly when you are down low like that. Which allows you to work the hovers down lower and lower too.

And yes, a harrier is just flying nose high, around 45 degrees. Wing stalled and flying the plane forward slowly. Turn by using rudder *gently* and then using ailerons to keep the wings level. It will get you used to controlling all the various aspects of the plane simultaneously. And it's also the exact same stick moves you use in hovers. Only the recovery is way easier, relax elevator pressure, throttle up and fly out.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks, looks like the PA plane is the one, have to wait for the snow to clear and warm up above freezing. Will be going to LHS to get RF 75 tomorrow. See how that goes. Looks like the Aeroworks pro 60 is not much of planes will fly like I stole it and see how long it lasts. Thanks to all.