• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Gentleman need help selecting a simulator. been flying for a while can do basic aerobatics but not the 3D stuff. Tried it last summer not very successful, plane too heavy and or under powered. Bought two ARFs that are capable and building a Viper. Would like to teach myself 3D flying. Would like to practice on a simulator. Please note not really interested in graphics and all that fancy scenery. Just need a good simulator that represents what we fly. Thanks for your help.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Snoop

A lot of us are using RealFlight 7.5. They might be up to a higher version by now but with 7.5 we fly together via their multi-player option.

The planes fly very realistically and you can get a pretty good handle on 3D using the sim making practice with your real planes a lot more productive. The guys here have a few custom aircraft and would be happy to share the files with you but even the stock PAU Extra that comes with the software flies pretty well and doe good 3D. Even I've learned to hover it and 3D it a bit (but I still mostly suck at it)

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I also like RealFlight. I also tried Aerofly and Phoenix, but prefer RealFlight. It's a great training tool, especially if you don't just fly around, but instead focus on one maneuver at a time and practice that over and over for at least part of your sim time.

One particularly cold snowy winter I taught myself to fly helicopters using a training routine I found online. While I'm certainly no expert heli pilot, the sim saved me a lot of time and a lot of money in crashed helicopters.

camss69

70cc twin V2
I also learned to fly heli's on Realflight. I'm no expert either but I can fly heli's and have had several over the years. I also need to get a new sim, I don't get to the field very often and would like to learn a few new things. I haven't had one over the last several years because I switched to Mac on my home computer. Now I have a pretty nice Windows 10 machine, hopefully RF runs on Win10.

Just checked, it is Windows 10 compatible, nice!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well guy's thanks will be looking into getting RF 7.5. Which system did you get or are using. The one with remote key in computer and your own transmitter. Or did you get the one with their transmitter. Let me know and why. Note I have JR -12X. Is it compatible with remote and does the RF 7.5 have 12X as call up radio. Well this is a lot help and getting me down the road to a simulator. Thanks again.

ryan_m

100cc
Gentleman need help selecting a simulator. been flying for a while can do basic aerobatics but not the 3D stuff. Tried it last summer not very successful, plane too heavy and or under powered. Bought two ARFs that are capable and building a Viper. Would like to teach myself 3D flying. Would like to practice on a simulator. Please note not really interested in graphics and all that fancy scenery. Just need a good simulator that represents what we fly. Thanks for your help.

You mentioned buying two ARF's that are capable, do you mind sharing which ones? I see a lot of planes advertised as 3d planes, but you will find many of them still have really bad flying characteristics that will handicap you in trying to learn.
I would strongly recommend a 60" electric plane from either 3dhobbyshop or extremeflight. The 60" size is small enough to be able to toss around and learn 3d stuff with. Larger gas planes are much harder to learn on I think. When they fall out of a move you need lots more airspace under you before you can recover, so you wind up flying them 50-100 feet high or more. With the smaller electrics you can get down to 30 feet or so pretty quickly and not have much risk of crashing the plane since they recover so much quicker and are more agile. I would highly recommend the 60" EF Edge. It's one of the best planes I've found to learn 3d with, harriers are really really stable wth it, and that helps a lot.

Proper setup is also key, have a good 3d pilot at your field look over everything. Don't try to learn on 30 degrees of throw, you need enough to control the plane once it's fully stalled. 45-50 degrees of elevator at least. I like as much rudder as I can get, and ailerons at about 35-40 degrees personally. Get used to flying with the controls on those rates.

Work on learning harriers first. Then progress into hovers. Once you master those two things the rest is much much easier. I personally hate flying on a sim and rarely do it. I probably would have learned quicker if I used one though. Hovering and harriering need to get to the point where it's basically muscle memory. Very little brainpower required to perform them. I can easily carry on a conversation while doing either because my fingers "just do it". It's like autopilot... and that just takes stick time. Lots and lots of stick time to program in the responses for what to do when the plane does this or that.

One last tip - throttle control is key. When the plane is stalled out like in a harrier or hover, the only control surface authority that you have comes from the prop wash over the control surfaces. When you need the plane to respond so you can straighten out a hover or something, blip the throttle to make more air go back over the surfaces, and then make your correction. Then back off the throttle. Pay attention to throttle sounds next time you see a good 3d pilot messing around down on the deck. You will be amazed how much the left stick is working. Throttle and rudder both. When I first started 3d flying 10 years ago there was nobody to tell me that, and i had a notion that if I could just get the plane to be in a perfect hover position that it would do it with almost no input from me. Couldn't be more wrong. If you watch the sticks of someone while they are hovering you will find that they are dancing all over even though the plane is relatively still.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes and I find that the dollar signs of a big gas airplane block my vision when I'm low and learning something new.;)

Muscle memory is key, thinking just gets in the way. I really learned that lesson the first time I went to do a nose in hover with a helicopter. I went straight from the sim to a Trex550e which is a pretty good sized helicopter for a beginner, but also very stable. On my third day out I decided that I would try a nose in hover. Now I did it all the time on the sim, and it was second nature. Before I took off I was going through the corrections in my mind just in case. Well, I took off, hovered, spun the nose around and about crashed. Thankfully the recovery was a subconscious thing. I tried it again with the same results. I flew the rest of that battery and landed and went and sat down. The more I thought about it the madder I got. I went and got another battery, put it in and took off. This time I spun the nose around without thinking about it and hovered there, nose it just as easy as the simulator. Moral of the story is if you have to think about it it's probably already too late. That's the way it is for me anyway.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Well guy's thanks will be looking into getting RF 7.5. Which system did you get or are using. The one with remote key in computer and your own transmitter. Or did you get the one with their transmitter. Let me know and why. Note I have JR -12X. Is it compatible with remote and does the RF 7.5 have 12X as call up radio. Well this is a lot help and getting me down the road to a simulator. Thanks again.
I use their transmitter with the USB cord. I have my computer hooked to a 32 inch television and sit in my recliner to fly.:)