• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC hobby getting expensive

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I simply look at how depreciation affects the overall length of time that a plane or product may or may not have. Risk is a much higher consideration when I purchase now. And not just because of skill or budget. Many other risk factors to consider now with regulation being imposed at much higher attention levels. I believe if I can not ENJOY the purchase to the worth that I have placed on It over time then why bother buying it at all??? may it be high dollar or low dollar.

Last edited:

Red Raider

70cc twin V2
I simply look at how depreciation affects the overall length of time that a plane or product may or may not have. Risk is a much higher consideration when I purchase now. And not just because of skill or budget. Many other risk factors to consider now with regulation being imposed at a much higher attention levels. I believe if I can not ENJOY the purchase to the worth that I have placed on It over time then why bother buying it at all??? may it be high dollar or low dollar.

Cost - Benefit analysis; interesting use of the Chicago School of Economic Theory. I'm afraid that if we applied all the risk factors to our sport, there would have to be an extraordinary amount of benefit to put the equation into equilibrium. One might say that it would be impossible to find such equilibrium in an empiracle calculation without someway quantifying the factor that it's a helluva lot of fun!!!!!

Ok, I'm over myself

One might say that it would be impossible to find such equilibrium in an empiracle calculation without someway quantifying the factor that it's a helluva lot of fun!!!!!

The boss doesn't understand this either. all she sees is air plane go up, airplane crash, money gone, what a waste. She did not like my analogy that we go to dinner and a movie and don't have anything to show except a bigger waste (waist). Went over about like a fart in church.

japan3d

50cc
Generally, when you see a huge pricetag on something (Futaba 18MZ for example, or JR 28X), you have to factor in certain aspects of the transmitter such as a large amounts of R&D that went into the transmitter, and the features that the transmitter includes. The 18MZ has a Windows operating system on it which does play into the cost. Then you have all of the custom designed components that went into it, then you have the fully adjustable gimbals and switch positions, then you have the casing, then the chassis, then the 18MZ has a camera in the back of it, a full color touch screen with back lighting- you can see where costs go up. This isn't something that was assembled using off the shelf components like some other brand transmitters use such as FrSky or even Tactic. Mostly everything is built from the ground up. Then, once you get past the physical components, you get into the digital ones like flight conditions. There's lots of things an 18MZ can do that a Taranis can't (the opposite can be true though).

Now where they come up with the $3000 pricetag, I'm not entirely certain, but I have a feeling that Windows and Android want a decent slice of the pie before handing it off. Can you imagine the cost of a transmitter that had an Apple IOS on it?
I think the $3000 price came about because of the exchange rate at the time it was introduced. And now with the better exchange rate it is cheaper, but it would not be fair to those who paid the top price to lower the price now.

I think the $3000 price came about because of the exchange rate at the time it was introduced. And now with the better exchange rate it is cheaper, but it would not be fair to those who paid the top price to lower the price now.

No matter the price tag is way over priced , the main reason, is they sponsor a lot of guys, sponsor a lot of events, advertise a lot, and not being open source, very expensive to do the programming , also when these companies develop there own cpu , that is also expensive,

The latest from FrSky, not to be confused with FlSky, not the same, has all the top quality pots , switches, gimbals are hall effect with full ball bearings. The operating cpu is an ARM 32 if memory serves, is also used in US cruise misles for its solid performance, but more important, they don't tell you how to program your radio, its a clean sheet of paper like the old Multiplex MC 4000, This lates one Tray radio is made of aluminum, it has 16 channels or 32 with a second module, the others don't have anything remotely close, full telemetry, with a bullet proof reciever ,
They don't sponsor anyone or any event, its open source, you can use your computer to program it if you wish, and they don't advertise, and all this for a price tag of around $300 including a 6 channel reciever, with full telemetry and sbus to get full 16 channels

Attachments

• tray radio A.JPG
    tray radio A.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 278
  • tray radio.JPG
    tray radio.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 308

japan3d

50cc
No matter the price tag is way over priced , the main reason, is they sponsor a lot of guys, sponsor a lot of events, advertise a lot, and not being open source, very expensive to do the programming , also when these companies develop there own cpu , that is also expensive,

The latest from FrSky, not to be confused with FlSky, not the same, has all the top quality pots , switches, gimbals are hall effect with full ball bearings. The operating cpu is an ARM 32 if memory serves, is also used in US cruise misles for its solid performance, but more important, they don't tell you how to program your radio, its a clean sheet of paper like the old Multiplex MC 4000, This lates one Tray radio is made of aluminum, it has 16 channels or 32 with a second module, the others don't have anything remotely close, full telemetry, with a bullet proof reciever ,
They don't sponsor anyone or any event, its open source, you can use your computer to program it if you wish, and they don't advertise, and all this for a price tag of around $300 including a 6 channel reciever, with full telemetry and sbus to get full 16 channels

But it's funny, all the radios they sell here are sold at a 30% discount. Not just Futaba but JR as well. I got my 18MZ for $1700 from a hobby shop here.

But it's funny, all the radios they sell here are sold at a 30% discount. Not just Futaba but JR as well. I got my 18MZ for $1700 from a hobby shop here.
Although they give discounts, don't you think people are simply buying an expensive name? Also a lot of people would rather buy into expensive , it gives them confidence , and I know a few personally, that it looks better to show others there super expensive radios.
As for the R&D someone else presented, well these other radios don't R&D? I happen to know they have put in a lot of R&D and release it only when its good,
As for the first Taranis that came out with an elderly casing, (remember just a plastic case) someone from our club mentioned it was cheap radio because of the cheap plastic casing, so I asked him about his Spectrum DX 18, you must have an expensive case because it sure as hell does a lot less the even the first Taranis,
if you have a big name pilot being sponsored, then it stands to reason according these people that it must be a better radio, not realising they are given the radio most of the time
As far as I am concerned I fell in this trap when I bought (expensive ) Multiplex MC 4000, although a very good radio, certainly not worth the price tag and same goes with Futaba, JR, and Spectrum, why should they bring down the price when people are willing to pay

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!

so i should be shopping for radios when i'm on a trip and overnighting in Japan???? who knew!!??!!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Although they give discounts, don't you think people are simply buying an expensive name? Also a lot of people would rather buy into expensive , it gives them confidence , and I know a few personally, that it looks better to show others there super expensive radios.
As for the R&D someone else presented, well these other radios don't R&D? I happen to know they have put in a lot of R&D and release it only when its good,
As for the first Taranis that came out with an elderly casing, (remember just a plastic case) someone from our club mentioned it was cheap radio because of the cheap plastic casing, so I asked him about his Spectrum DX 18, you must have an expensive case because it sure as hell does a lot less the even the first Taranis,
if you have a big name pilot being sponsored, then it stands to reason according these people that it must be a better radio, not realising they are given the radio most of the time
As far as I am concerned I fell in this trap when I bought (expensive ) Multiplex MC 4000, although a very good radio, certainly not worth the price tag and same goes with Futaba, JR, and Spectrum, why should they bring down the price when people are willing to pay

i hear what you're saying but there are a lot of people that simply cannot program their own radios or sort through the many open-source firmware options that come up after an open source project has been on the market for a while.

nice looking radio though, i like that flat tray style