• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

HS-5245MG failure

arayhorton

New to GSN!
Thank goodness for ground checks. Just home from SEFF and about 20 flights here at home. I've gone through 3 (yes three) HS-5245 MG failures. Lost plane in one and luckly discovered other two on ground. One just now!!!!!! Thought my ESC fried on first one but later discovered gears locked up caused whole thing. Failure was due top case cup, when center gear pin rest, wallowing out and/or cracking through on side allowing center pin to move off center and gears would lock.
Next failure open case and look for that problem. I'm getting really scared of using them on my EF 60"300 EXP."Spoke with Tony at Hi-tec and he offered to replace cases. that's fine but dosen't bring back my lost plane. The new servoes have a thicker cup to hold the pin thus solving the problem. The trouble is how do you know . I bought the servos about 4 months ago at a local hobby shop.. After the first failure and crash (and before opening case to see why) Horizon replaced that one about 2 months ago. Now after about 25 flights it is locked up. Go figure. If you are flying these things my advice would be to pull the case open and see what you got. Or send them to Hi-tec to be sure. I know now the v1.04 1.05 are only firmware versions.

Attachments

• HI-TEC.jpg
    HI-TEC.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 695
Thanks for the headsup.

Opened up some of my 5245s', and they look like your RH photo the best I can tell. There's a number stamped into the inside of the upper case, and from your photo's perspective this would be just above the upper gear-pin cup at the angled shoulder area; HS205T on mine. I'd be curious to know what both of yours are marked.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cravenjw

30cc
I just had 5245 in elevator of sebart katana go this weekend. Was a but weird during 2nd flight. Moved when it landed. Plane sat 15mins. With fresh bat, it was dead. Only maybe 8 flights on plane and servos.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
That is a known problem and if you do some searching over on RCG there is a preventative fix for the future. That is one reason I went with 7245's.