• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? iCharger 306b vs. 3010b question

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
the worst part is you have to feed it 50V input to get the max specs hahahahaha. i am probably going to get one down the road, but im not feeding it 50v. i like the specs plenty and the dual port capability for field charging on 24v :D

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
the worst part is you have to feed it 50V input to get the max specs hahahahaha. i am probably going to get one down the road, but im not feeding it 50v. i like the specs plenty and the dual port capability for field charging on 24v :D

The way I read the specs it can operate on input 'up-to' 50V, but it only needs 36V to max out the charger. Max synchronous output is 2000W. On the input side the current is limited to 65A, 65A x 36V = 2340W.. so 36v should be enough. That's a three lead acids or three server power supplies. You would need a 65A rated server supply if using three, the popular DPS-600PB is 'only' 48A so would take four). You would need three MASSIVE lead acids if you were going to power it that way, probably so big and heavy as to be totally impractical as a portable solution.

It's probably academic because I don't suppose anyone will be maxing out both channels of this beast.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
yeah, i mean it would take $$$$ hyperion lipos (the highest C rating version) to even come close on 5000mah packs. dont see the need to max it out, just like that i would basically have 2x 1000 watt chargers in one housing. uber convenient

If using the 3 power supply option with that monster charger, you would probably need 20-30A outlet to plug into to feed the PS's. Guessing it would blow a typical 15A circuit breaker.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Or move to the UK. We have 240V supply. 240V x 15A = 3600W from a standard wall socket:). Downside is it hardly stops raining so you can charge your batteries but you cant empty them:(

Steve

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
i think thats the same for me. if i would go to 8 or 10 could just run a dual 4 or 5s. only problem im having to figure is how to field charge with this charger. if i spent the money on the charger and psu i dont wanna still have to buy more lipos. ive read and read and read articles, forums, data etc, but still cant make up my mind on which route to go with that.

Just got the 306B and the 24+PSU. Going for a deep cycle batt to run the icharger at the field. With the para board should be able to "cook" several 6S 3300s at a time while hucking the 48" Edge with 3S packs that will charge real fast with the icharger. It becomes a ballet with all the charging.

dth7

i just bit the bullet and got a small generator, and am having a guy at my LHS who is an electrical genius make me up a portable suitcase charging setup. One time investment (hopefully) and i will be good for the forseable future

Field power dilemma- I have a 306b and a 24+ power supply and am debating on a field power source- deep cycle battery (12V) or a small generator (24 V output using the 24+ power supply and the 110v from the gen). Anyone have any advise on this. I figure I'll drop at least $75-100 on a good deep cycle bat and only get 12 V out of it. Still better than a car battery. I haven't priced them out but I think the small gens are around $100. I'll be charging 3,4 and 6 cells. The 3 and 4 cells have been ok with my car batt and a thunder 608 charger but the 6 cells may cause me to walk home or wait so long it would be dark before I was charged up.

Anyone?

On a side note. With the 306b I can now read Internal Resistance. What is good, bad, ugly? Most of my better batts (by their performance in the planes) are in the 1-3 mili ohms per cell. The bad ones (slightly expanded/ puffed and marginal power in plane are about 20-30mili ohms/ cell or around 85-90 m ohms for the pack. What is the drop dead point as far as IR is concerned! I do only use the "ugly" batts in my foamie.

Thanks guys.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Field power dilemma- I have a 306b and a 24+ power supply and am debating on a field power source- deep cycle battery (12V) or a small generator (24 V output using the 24+ power supply and the 110v from the gen). Anyone have any advise on this. I figure I'll drop at least $75-100 on a good deep cycle bat and only get 12 V out of it. Still better than a car battery. I haven't priced them out but I think the small gens are around $100. I'll be charging 3,4 and 6 cells. The 3 and 4 cells have been ok with my car batt and a thunder 608 charger but the 6 cells may cause me to walk home or wait so long it would be dark before I was charged up.

Anyone?

On a side note. With the 306b I can now read Internal Resistance. What is good, bad, ugly? Most of my better batts (by their performance in the planes) are in the 1-3 mili ohms per cell. The bad ones (slightly expanded/ puffed and marginal power in plane are about 20-30mili ohms/ cell or around 85-90 m ohms for the pack. What is the drop dead point as far as IR is concerned! I do only use the "ugly" batts in my foamie.

Thanks guys.

to answer your first question, what are you more worried about? convenience or charging fast? if you are worried about convenience, i would say get the deep cycle. you do have to worry about keeping it charged, but its easier and simpler to setup and use quickly. If you are worried about charging quicker and being at the field for a longer time, then the generator is a better choice. The generators will be more expensive if you want a quiet one. The hondas (which are the gold standard for quiet) can be $800 for a 2000 watt (i wouldnt go any smaller than that). My dad happens to work with a guy who sells generac generators, and while it isnt as quiet as the honda, it is still fairly quiet and was significantly cheaper than the honda.

as far as internal resistance, i think you pretty much have it. There isnt a "drop dead" point, but the higher the IR the worse the performance. Good IR is around 1 or 2 milliohms, and bad is when you get into the 15-25 range. but that wont cause your plane to crash or battery to stop working, you will just get less power. But IR is a good thing to merely keep an eye on as it will warn you if something is wrong with your packs or if they are reaching the end of their life

dth7

Thanks much. That helps. I figured a generator that would give me more power than the battery would be quite a bit. Think I'll try the deep cycle first. Seems to work for many. I have 4 6cells now so that should be good to work with. Should be able to charge those a few times off a battery at the field.

IR- I just checked all my batts on the I charger. I hear chk at storage, at full charge. I didn't see much of a difference. I did have 4 out of about 30 that were in the "ugly" category (+70 m ohm!). They have been "black taped" for foamie use only til they are dead.
Others are more reasonable. Makes sense that the uglies are the oldest and the most abused out of bunch. They are about a year old and they are all sky lipos in the 20 and 30c 3 cells.
I think the newer 40+ c rated batteries are much better than even a year ago. Well, charging now for some more ski flying up here in NH! Thanks for the help.