• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Inexpensive servos is today's market

wedoitall

the 5245's in my EF MXS have well over 100 flights on them with no problems at all, hard flights.

Ill preach this till the end of time, I highly recommend using an amp meter when setting up your servos, before you ever think about the maiden.

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
I got some used 5245s a while back that were advertised as under 20 flights. I installed them yesterday in my 3DHS 57SC after pulling the 225mgs out and the improvement was noticeable. Felt a little more connected. More than really helping the plane do maneuvers, at least at my skill level, it seemed to stop doing whatever you were doing in a more instantaneous manner. My point rolls and slow rolls were definitely improved.

Be the digital part exceling. It even makes a huge difference in foamies. I always thought stuff that small you could never tell but it is a huge difference.

Futaba BLS9352 at 150 bucks on Tower... not brushless but FASSSST on HV
SPECS: 6.6V 7.4V
Speed: 0.07 sec/60° 0.06 sec/60°
Torque: 272.2oz/in (19.6kg/cm) 305.6oz/in (22kg/cm)
Size: 1.59 x 0.83 x 1.47" (40.5 x 21 x 37.4mm)
Weight: 2.54oz (72g

Sticking to budget theme and experimental nature here are some of my experiences.

Standard size for 30cc
Solar 770 and 771 were no where near the specs they posted and were subject to blow back on my 30cc Yak. stay away
Solar 772 on the other hand, while slow, have been fairly good and powerful. I use them in my giant scale Drasik
Hitec 5685MH can be had for under $40 and are good for 30cc, but again on the slow side. They are in Bigfoot.
Hitec 5665MH are the same price point, but not up to 30cc stresses. Most of my throttle servos are these.
HK-15298 is a servo I am interested in. I have one in a warbird rudder that does not fly much. Coreless and HV.

Mini servos
Solar D658s were originally in my 10cc Sabre, but ended up not being very good, they now live in a Ultrastick.
Spektrum A5040s replaced the Solars and I was pretty happy with them.
A5060s were a pretty big failure. They jittered in flight and scared more than one person at the Arkansas FLI.

When it comes to the 60" 3D planes, HS-7245MHs are the best way to go right now. I have tried 5245s and 225s, but they don't handle the speeds and craziness these planes can do with the 1600 watt power systems we now use. I am using the BK helicopter servos (similar to RJX) and I don't notice the difference in speed and they are a bit heavier.

Bottom line is that there is no great "budget" mini servo that I have used.

Micro servos
I have had good luck with Futaba 3114s on my twisted stuff.
If possible use the HS-85 class servos. I have 5065s in some stuff, but the high powered 48" class will get blow back.

Giant Scale standard servos
Not much luck outside of the Solar 772s on anything that can be considered budget. HS-7955, HS-7954, Savox 2270, and Futaba BLS-157/172s are what are in my 50cc and 100cc planes.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

The Solar D771's were a failure at factory specs (what Matt said - blowback, nowhere near the promised torque)...but after checking with some others on this forum, I found out that these servos work just fine on 7.4v even though they are only rated at 6v. At 7.4v they have the speed and torque that I expected (and was promised by the specs) on 6.0v. I've got them in my 71" Slick and they are working out great! Can't talk about longevity yet, but even if they last a year, I've got my moneys worth out of them.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Mike the d771 is rated for 7.4v on the hobbypartz website. I hope yours last forevor ;)

I ran mine on unregulated lipo and still had all those issues. I still have them laying in the parts bin, and they might find their way into a project next season. The HKs look more promising.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I ran mine on unregulated lipo and still had all those issues. I still have them laying in the parts bin, and they might find their way into a project next season. The HKs look more promising.

Shouldn't you be out flying! Cody's waiting for you! Lol