• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Joe Smith testing the Kontronik Proto Geared Motor System on 100cc Aeroworks Yak-55m!

Suds

50cc
Okay I have to ask. What is the advantage to running a geared setup. I don't know this kind of setup is why I ask.
From the owner of the geared EF Extra: "The system should be commercially available sometime in the near future, no release date as of yet. This unit on the 104 is probably very close to the production unit depending on further testing. So far the best benefit I can see from a geared system is all the load is removed from the motor bearings, the prop shaft is supported by Angular Contact bearings to allow both radial and axial loads from the prop. I also feel the spool up time is much better than a large out runner with a prop adapter. "
as posted on the 'Extreme Flight Owners' Facebook group.

Sure looked impressive in person. They were estimating 10-11,000 watts.

Suds

50cc
Thanks for sharing! 5.5 minutes is pretty decent for that size and his sty;e of flying!

If I recall, it sounded like the batteries came down close to 3.78-3.8v per cell so they thought another ~30 seconds depending upon flying style was available.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Okay I have to ask. What is the advantage to running a geared setup. I don't know this kind of setup is why I ask.

Prop RPM's can be optimized with a geared setup. It's more efficient in design at these sizes to use a geared setup than an outrunner. As someone else stated, it also takes loads off of the motor as well. So essentially, you don't need nearly as big of a motor. You can instead use a smaller motor with a higher KV rating and pump some voltage through it to get the same desired results as an equivalent ICB motor. An outrunner for a 120cc airplane would have to be fairly big to make the same kind of power and it won't operate at the same efficiency.

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
Like I said...Pretty cool...Thanks for the explanation though, makes perfect sense when I picture it in my mind. Ive done similar things with electric motors on a much larger scale. Build augers, conveyers and other things when I worked as a millwright.