• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC JTEC/ Radiowave 3.1m competition series

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
IMAC FANATIC;18114 wrote: Thanks Jet, its Tony right ?

One side , stab and elevator done this weekend, found a really cool work surface at Lowes In the shower panel section, its like a 4x8 plastic cutting mat $ 21.00 ,

Not alot done this weekend, never seems to be , especially with such great football games on today ! we cleaned the shop of all sawdust and no longer needed items and organized a nice workstation prior to the first piece going on, oh and by the way... the top flite trim and stripe tool and the smart cut tool is a POS. Better off with a straight edge new razor and non caffinated hand.

Dont look too close its not perfect , still some final heat gun/ sock and small iron work to do ,but looks great from 3' or more away . this is only the 3rd airframe ive covered, one and two were a sig 4 star .40 and a great planes PT-40 trainer so this is fairly intimidating but no difference in application, just size and a want to make it perfect . I know how you guys are on the flight line when a new bird hits the field, no sin or blemish goes un noticed LOL.

Very exited to be finally covering , means its much closer to flying !
Actually it's Doug,:fat: but I get called Tony quite a bit at the field since the guy I go flying with every Sunday morning is named Tony. We've been flying together since 1985, other than about a decades break for his kids to grow up and me to get over a serious case of club burnout.

Covering has never really been my thing. I can do a pretty good job, but I'm never happy with it. I wonder now after reading a few build threads from people that do nice work, if I've been using a heat gun way too much.

I've been hoping we can talk Terry [MENTION=110]Terryscustom[/MENTION] to do a some short videos of how he does it (Hint Hint Terry if you read this). I looked up on his Viper thread were he talks about a heat gun. I got a kick out of it.

1 - Take your time, plan ahead.

2 - Use the correct temperature.

3 - Use the correct pressure on your iron.

4 - Don't use a heat gun unless you have to and if you have to be careful!! Heat gun = Evil (unless you are using Monocote then you have to cook the living :strawberry: out of it as I found out on my warbird).

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Pardon..doug.. :shaking-hands-smile. Ill get it right now, sometimes ya dont know till you ask... or ask again.

Pretty good but never happy with it is where im at also, have a feeling by the time im done covering, I'll have a good hand for it, no wonder why people have their builds sent off to have them covered, it's a whole different set of skills.

Just dont want to build such a bad azz airframe and end up with mediocre finish.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Looking good so far! I am always a fan for a scale scheme and with your bottom scheme you should get a great contrast.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been using a heat gun on the large surfaces of wings, heat gun and a mitt to smooth it out. Rest of it is just iron. I'll think about doing a video this Winter. It used to scare me but now I love covering.

IMAC FANATIC

Thanks Kevin, ive been able to contact Klaus Schrodt, the owner of D-EJKS and let him know im copying his scheme so I can send a finished pic of it. Adds a lil cool factor to the project.

Covering is actually fun and I can do a decent work of it, just takes a few wasted pieces to get in the feel of the process again, havent covered anything for over 2 years, but already more confident to do larger pieces. I prefer heat gun also, seems a lot more natural process.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
IMAC FANATIC;18292 wrote: Covering is actually fun and I can do a decent work of it

Oh, great we will send you some work. LOL!

Let me know when you want to start on this one. :chuncky:

18522=12521-Gary-Ward-MX2.jpg
18522=12521-Gary-Ward-MX2.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

Ummm, I think ill pass on that one, too easy, LOL. My buddy , Jay had a 37% EG MX-2 , in that scheme.. it met a tree, but was a good lookin bird.

I dont know if this tool is old hat or a brand new wonder tool but if you guys dont have one.. get one. Best thing for monokote since... ever ! Cuts perfect 1/8" lap for edges, 8 slots in face so you have a " new blade " for each cut, saves razors,easy to change blade, and its metal so gives better feel and will last forever.

Wondering , what else are you guys using for trimming and Monokote? Any other secret weapons out there?

18548=12525-20140915_222735.jpg
18548=12525-20140915_222735.jpg

Daytonarc

70cc twin V2
IMAC FANATIC;18548 wrote: Ummm, I think ill pass on that one, too easy, LOL. My buddy , Jay had a 37% EG MX-2 , in that scheme.. it met a tree, but was a good lookin bird.

I dont know if this tool is old hat or a brand new wonder tool but if you guys dont have one.. get one. Best thing for monokote since... ever ! Cuts perfect 1/8" lap for edges, 8 slots in face so you have a " new blade " for each cut, saves razors,easy to change blade, and its metal so gives better feel and will last forever.

Wondering , what else are you guys using for trimming and Monokote? Any other secret weapons out there?

Have you used that tool? I bought the plastic piece of crap edge trimmer that uses a # 11 blade and can do much better with a piece of wood as a guide and a blade. I have seen that tool, available here http://www.harryhigley.com/Tools1.htm , but I have never heard of anybody who has used it.

IMAC FANATIC

Use it exclusively for every lapped edge now, that plastic #11 blade tool is a POS compared to this one. Takes a reg blade so its much cheaper to use and gets several cuts per blade. By the second cut it made clean professional grade edges.Highly recommended tool.

IMAC FANATIC

Now were getting somewhere! One wing almost done, trying the windex method to apply white stripes today, let ya know how it works out.

20748=13461-20140920_205443.jpg
20748=13461-20140920_205443.jpg
20748=13460-20140926_211424.jpg
20748=13460-20140926_211424.jpg