• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Landing with crosswinds and no headwind

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
Had that same problem with one of our runways here,
I had to be high because of a fence and the runway was about 300 ft long, thats not enough when you have a cross wind...
Being said, youll have to put the plane in a slide condition, like Harrier and Let it descent very fast at the beginning to loss all the height fast but then, youll need to add more throttle to gain more speed and in that point add rudder to the wing to compensate for the drift and to make more drag for the plane to loss the speed so you wont end up the runway...
Hard to explain, youll have to see it...

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I have been playing with some "brakes", for paved runways.

I set the flaperons and elevator to go up full travel on a momentary switch. You can also set up a flight mode on landing with some logical switches to activate them with elevator or other ways.

It did help slow the plane down for me.

JoeT

50cc
Practice practice practice. When practicing your approaches, do it at a safe altitude, say about 2 mistakes high.

Throttle down, and apply elevator as if to try to hold the plane from sinking, it will sink because there is no energy.

Identify your safest stall point, and what you'll find is, that most planes will let you fly at a very low speed while holding a bit of up elevator. This will keep the nose up.

Once you get proficient, do some landings.

Set your approach slope
Throttle down and add up elevator as the plane decends ( not too much, just enough to keep the nose up)
You'll probably be flying at 2 - 4 clicks of throttle with the nose up.
As the plane approaches the runway, at about 1 foot off the ground, apply throttle (2 more clicks) to stretch the last bit glide
It'll slow down the decent and settle nicely with the nose up.

Basically what you're doing is using the Throttle like your elevator.

It takes a bit of practice, but it's really pretty when done right.

Hope this helps.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The more experienced pilots you mention are basically slowing their planes down to a near stalled state. Bringing the nose ever so slightly up and relying on lift from the wings and the thrust of the prop to pull them through the air while keeping the plane in a near stalled state. Proper method would be practice...practice...practice.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Both of our planes are setup for IMAC and have short control arms except for the rudder. Our biggest problem is we have to be at least 10 feet above runway at first entry. We have watched more experienced pilots land their big planes with their nose slightly up on approach to slow them to a crawl before reaching the runway. This maneuver would be our best choice, but we're having trouble performing it. No flaps or spoilerons by these pilots. Any advice on proper method?
I know the reasoning for the short arms in IMAC, but be aware that sometimes you need more elevator than such a setup can provide. I've seen at least 2 deadsticks with IMAC setups like that...both of which could have resulted in far less damage if the plane had more elev travel to get the nose up prior to ground impact.

Personally I like having a high rate that I use for landing.....also comes in handy for spin entries too.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Can you give us some idea of your setup. Airframe, engine, prop things like that. Do you use an idle up switch? A forward CG can also make for long landings.

But like everyone else has said, practice, practice.

You can also try these for making it stop quicker. White Rose brakes
Brakes300.jpg

Wroyster

New to GSN!
My buddy is flying a 40% Carden and I'm flying a 42% Dalton. Both are Extra 300s with DA170s. We flew today and practiced with our plane nose slightly elevated and used the throttle to keep from stalling. There were head winds today, but we were happy with the slow approaches we made and the soft landings. Thanks to everyone for your input. We learned a lot!