• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

let us talk about fuel tank clunks....

pauflyer;15398 wrote: That's EXACTLY my setup in 50 and 100cc. Only problem I've ever encountered was clogging of the micro-screen filter in one of the felt clunks. The Walbro carb and the Walbro felt clunk uses the same micro-screen filter, and it can get slimed-up if you're not careful about mixing different fuel-oil mixtures in the same tank or jug (generally a no-no.) :concern:

do you think it is necessary to use a filterered clunk? i know it is a matter of opinion. i use the same set up, except, a Dubro clunk, no filter. i do have a filter in the airplane from the fill fuel dot line to the tank, and my filling station gas tank also has a filter x 2. one in the line going from the tank to the pump, and another in the line from the pump to the airplane fuel dot.

pauflyer

New to GSN!
Personally, I don't think a filtered clunk is really necessary, if you're satisfied that fuel passing the HI/LO needles in the carb is free of contaminants. I know a few guys who even put a filter on the vent line to keep dirt from entering the tank that way. I like the felt filter clunk because it will suck up every last drop of fuel. However, it can be a source of diminished fuel flow and a lean-running engine if it gets clogged with slime. A plain, brass clunk wouldn't have that problem. But if your fuel has slime or fuzz, it will clog the micro-screen filter in the carb anyway. BTW my Fiji tanks have two felt clunks - one on the pickup and one on the fill viton lines. Kinda anal, huh?

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
pauflyer;15411 wrote: Personally, I don't think a filtered clunk is really necessary, if you're satisfied that fuel passing the HI/LO needles in the carb is free of contaminants. I know a few guys who even put a filter on the vent line to keep dirt from entering the tank that way. I like the felt filter clunk because it will suck up every last drop of fuel. However, it can be a source of diminished fuel flow and a lean-running engine if it gets clogged with slime. A plain, brass clunk wouldn't have that problem. But if your fuel has slime or fuzz, it will clog the micro-screen filter in the carb anyway. BTW my Fiji tanks have two felt clunks - one on the pickup and one on the fill viton lines. Kinda anal, huh?

I'd be weary doing this on the fill line. I'd be afraid that the pressure from your pump will eventually cause the clunk on your fill line to come apart making a mess in your tank. I think (and may be wrong) but the felt clunks are for sucking not blowing.