• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Lighting system..which one?

Hey guys, I'm looking to put a lighting system on my 104 extra. Would appreciate if you guys can recommend which one to go with. Thanks!

RC Flite Light. I am biased since I fly for Andrew. But the kit has definite advantages because it does not involve lights on the elevator stab (only wings). And, there's no drivers. Installation is very simple and it runs on life packs. You can run a separate batt for each wing and if you bip one side, the other side stays on. Most importantly, they are VERY bright. My vid is from a very dark night with no moon and no stars. It had rained all day and it was pitch black. This is the smaller kit on my 70" but the larger is what you use on the 35% planes (Duke Kit).

http://www.rcflitelight.com/Lighting-Systems_c_8.html

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I've seen to many failures with the RC Flite Lights. All four sets I've had experience with failed in one way or another. No fun when your plane goes dark in the middle of a flight.:confused:

I'd be more inclined to go with Aurora RC. I've never had one of their giant scale sets. But I have one of their smaller sets that I've been using for over two years and never one issue. And I beat the chit out of it. It out lasted my Crack Yak and now it's on my Crack Laser.

There's really only those 2 serious choices. I'm curious how mike's sets totally failed. I run each wing off a separate Life pack and that totally prevents a total dark plane type failure from ever coming into the conversation. Don't "Y" anything together and use 2 packs and you're always at least 1/2 good. Just my humble opinion and nothing against what Mike said. To me, if you're flying 3D, not having the lights on the tail is a plus. All too often I've seen the harrier landings that knock a set of lights off the elevator stab.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
There's really only those 2 serious choices. I'm curious how mike's sets totally failed. I run each wing off a separate Life pack and that totally prevents a total dark plane type failure from ever coming into the conversation. Don't "Y" anything together and use 2 packs and you're always at least 1/2 good. Just my humble opinion and nothing against what Mike said. To me, if you're flying 3D, not having the lights on the tail is a plus. All too often I've seen the harrier landings that knock a set of lights off the elevator stab.
They weren't on my planes but close friends. Some had partial failures like one or two lights per side. But my buddy James Speelman was flying his and one hole side quit at the same! And the problem with that is it was the side facing him so instant darkness. Didn't end pretty. Luckily he wasn't to awful high and he was over the taller grass so it wasn't a total loss. But it did receive quite a bit of damage. Luckily nobody got hurt. Scared the poop out of everyone though!

Mike, for what it's worth, I bet Andrew would not only like to talk to these folks but I bet he would repair/replace anything that failed. Once you have the set installed, you can just unplug and take the light set off with 4 screws. So, it's easy to send the stuff back. It's possible that these were some of the first sets that were made that you're talking about. Hate to see those sets get a bad name since the design is bright and does have it's benefits like I was saying. I know it's all in the rear-view now. Just trying to help out and clarify for the OP. :way_to_go:

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Mike, for what it's worth, I bet Andrew would not only like to talk to these folks but I bet he would repair/replace anything that failed. Once you have the set installed, you can just unplug and take the light set off with 4 screws. So, it's easy to send the stuff back. It's possible that these were some of the first sets that were made that you're talking about. Hate to see those sets get a bad name since the design is bright and does have it's benefits like I was saying. I know it's all in the rear-view now. Just trying to help out and clarify for the OP. :way_to_go:

I didn't follow up with James about the lights after the crash. I'm sure he notified them though cause he was mighty upset when it happened. But I'm pretty sure that set was a replacement for his first set that also had failures. :confused:

Flyin Ryan also had problems with his at the same event. But only half the lights on one side of his quit.

I can tell you this for sure. Nobody that was at that event ran home and ordered a set for themselves.

I like the design of the RC Flite Lights. Simple and effective.......when they work. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out. I wish them well.

garlandk

100cc
Never had RC flite lights but I don't like the fact you can't run a 2 cell lipo unless you run a regulator.

I have a set of the other companies lights but make sure you check the solder connections near the lights as I have had a few come loose.