• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

limited landing area. How big can I get away with?

quadracer

100cc
For sure, I would fly a 50cc at a different location until you're comfortable landing it there. Sometimes having the extra space makes all the difference, even if you don't actually need it.

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I would fly anything that big somwhere else first for sure. I am going to take back part of the field next year. Enough to land anything. I am a pretty confident pilot these days but not that cocky! I am thinking 30cc would be about the limit for me landing in the yard. I am sure a 50 could get in there but thats above my skillset for sure!

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
There is a fine line between confident and cocky! Been flying the snot out of the little edge today. I was ready to write that one off. Plenty of set up and cg tweaks. Reinforced some "trouble" spots. This is a good little plane. I got some knife edge circuits some more cool turnarounds. Nice walls and easy to hover (or practice is paying off). I am starting to get rollers down a little. My elevator timing is good but still working on integrating rudder. Since joining here I have really started to have a goal with my flights. The improvements are amazing. Just glad to be here with a really good group. I like the small community feel. Thanks everyone! :cool:

gyro

GSN Contributor
Since joining here I have really started to have a goal with my flights. The improvements are amazing. Just glad to be here with a really good group. I like the small community feel. Thanks everyone! :cool:

That is so awesome! Really glad you're enjoying the site!

-G

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I did start coming in down the grass strip. landing side hill instead of uphill sure is easier :facepalm:

robj

70cc twin V2
If you stand closer to the pond when landing it'll give you a better prospective of the angle and height when landing. Come low and slow over the water and touch. When beginning most people like to land in front of them or to the left(controls are mentally easier). I did. But when you get comfortable with a flying location you will get more confidence in your ability. As tough as it is sometimes, you are controlling the plane. Some of the beginners at the field land their planes 100'+ out. Its mostly a big grass field. NExt time 125' out, then 50' out. I try and encourage them to fly the plane where they want it to touch down.

I just started flying the 72 Extra in the front yard where I normally fly the 48 epp. Little bigger look, more power, moves a little faster, but I'm getting use to the "look" of the plane and location. So I'm getting more comfortable.

But not this comfortable.... :)

Attachments

• 103-in-front-yard (2).jpg
    103-in-front-yard (2).jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 204

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I wish I had such a nice strip! nice extra too. I have almost no problems with orientation now. I only get goofed up on torque rolls and fall out of them sometimes. That is not the issue at all. My problem was the tall weeds so I was coming in high. Now I get it in down the strip. I just crab into the wind as necessary. Now my question of the week is to stay with another EF in 48" wich I have tons of gear for? The 51" slick looks good. But I have my heart set on the 60" laser. That entails buying a bunch of new gear. It is a frustrating dilemma as I am one of those people that has to be absolutely sure of what I am buying. It means I am one huge dork I suppose.