• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D MOJO 65 w/20cc Build

caf2461

50cc
I simply could not get mine to balance anywhere close so I got a smaller battery and mounted it as far forward in the wing to the leading edge as possible. That saved almost 2 oz, but doesn't really help on balance point. Then I got a brass adapter/spinner that was around 2 or more ounces and put on the front of the engine and could hardly tell any difference.

The sucker was still tail heavy balancing at around 9" or so. If I am not mistaken that is around 1-2 inches beyond what folks say is aggressive for this plane. It will take about 5 more ounces on the front to balance it around 8" or maybe a tad under 8". I feel like I should at least make the maiden flight balanced before I risk it being tail heavy.

The plane weighed just under 9 lbs (around an ounce under 9) and I sure wished I could keep it at that and not have to add weight on the front to fly it. If I don't like the way this plane flies, I will strip the covering off the fuse and start trimming this sucker down on the back end to remove some weight.

Move the engine as far forward as possible (looks like you can make the front bolt hole the rear bolt hole). Better yet install a OS GT22 like I ended up doing it made a big difference in power (with a ported WWRC muffler), weights slightly more and winds up quicker than the dle20. If you strip the covering off anywhere, the first mod most people do on Primo's and Mojo's is move the servos one bay forward. This and carbon fiber rods (I like WWRC rod ends) will move weight forward.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I have some carbon fiber rods on hand that I was going to originally use. I wonder just how much less they weigh? I may check them out and see the difference. I attempted to move the engine forward by using the front bolt hold for the back bolt, but did not make a noticeable difference. I was kind of surprised, but I can do that before I maiden it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Move the engine as far forward as possible (looks like you can make the front bolt hole the rear bolt hole). Better yet install a OS GT22 like I ended up doing it made a big difference in power (with a ported WWRC muffler), weights slightly more and winds up quicker than the dle20. If you strip the covering off anywhere, the first mod most people do on Primo's and Mojo's is move the servos one bay forward. This and carbon fiber rods (I like WWRC rod ends) will move weight forward.

How do you like your OS-22. Not to many people have them I have one and it has been great, love the motor strong runs great and starts every time would not trade it for anything.

BalsaDust

Not sure on the 65 but on both my mojo40 and moass60 I have it balanced about an inch behind the art most cg mark on the plans.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
How do you like your OS-22. Not to many people have them I have one and it has been great, love the motor strong runs great and starts every time would not trade it for anything.
OS are well built engines, yet no doubt pricey for that size engine at around 400. Once in a while you see a used one floating around for sale.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Not sure on the 65 but on both my mojo40 and moass60 I have it balanced about an inch behind the art most cg mark on the plans.
If the 65 is the same, then I will be good to go on this plane because I can get it around that area.

BalsaDust

OS are well built engines, yet no doubt pricey for that size engine at around 400. Once in a while you see a used one floating around for sale.

Watch for used ones as well as watch for when tower hobbies is offering their E-cash deals. Between that, other discounts, and feee shipping on larger orders you can get the price down to around $350'ish and so long as your a super saver member you get $6 ecash on every $50 spent. That's $42 on that engine that can go towards buying props.

BalsaDust

If the 65 is the same, then I will be good to go on this plane because I can get it around that area.

Yeah I'm not sure if the 65 is the same way or not. Maybe @caf2461 can check to see where his is balancing to give you a better idea. I have seen his fly and it looks good in the air.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Yep, CAF sent me some pics of his battery placement and gave me some valuable info about balancing it. I fly with CAF at the CVRC Amelia and have seen his planes fly a number of times. He is good on the sticks and will put one through its paces.

He says to get the Mojo 65 so it will fly inverted basically hands off which is the way my other planes fly. I tend to like that for my style of flying. I don't mind a little tail heavy, but I don't like the crazy tail heavy stuff.

I am not an aggressive 3d flyer and have much to learn. I can do a lot of the basic 3d stuff and improving on some of the more difficult maneuvers. Most of my planes fly hands off level and inverted level flight and are well dialed in.