• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Muffler problem.

Stickman

30cc
I have trouble keeping my mufflers tight. I have tried red lock tight blue lock tight. red form a gasket. I have tried everything. Need some help. Number one a DA 100 and a EME 120 and a DA 60. all come loose after 5 or 6 flights. Do I need lock washers or not do I need flat washers or not??????????????

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I have trouble keeping my mufflers tight. I have tried red lock tight blue lock tight. red form a gasket. I have tried everything. Need some help. Number one a DA 100 and a EME 120 and a DA 60. all come loose after 5 or 6 flights. Do I need lock washers or not do I need flat washers or not??????????????
Lots using the nord lock washers, but I haven't had to. I tighten mufflers down, fire engine up, get her good and hot, kill it, reach down, and give muffler bolts another snug up, its worked for me. YMMV

Bipeguy03

150cc
Lots using the nord lock washers, but I haven't had to. I tighten mufflers down, fire engine up, get her good and hot, kill it, reach down, and give muffler bolts another snug up, its worked for me. YMMV

My 111 was like that, I've had the mufflers on and off more times than I can count and I've never once had them come loose. No nord locks, Loctite, silicone nothing.

My 55 and my 120 however, I about wanted to drop kick them across the shop lol, came loose every darn flight and once I got them to stay I don't take them off unless I absolutely have too!! lol

Engines give me a headache sometimes!! ;)

Firstly, clean bolts and clean internal threads. Then surface (sand flat) the muffler manifold. Then apply copper permatex, slide your bolts with lock washers thru. Apply some copper permatex to the bolts and run them down.

TFAR, That Feels About Right for torque. I use a long Bondous 4mm ball driver, the one with the rubber handle, and wrench them til I cant turn them anymore. Lesser, if you have a strong arm. :)

Run your engine with the cowl off, allows you to retighten the bolts when engine is hot.

jhelber08

70cc twin V2
Ok thanks for all the help. I am going to clean bolts they got black gunk on them. That is most of my problem I thank. Then nord locks with the cowl off let the engine come up to temp and blue lock tight with clean bolts. that should do it. I will let you know Monday night. THANKS

I would suggest loctite 272, its for high temp applications. If you can't find that then use the permatex ultra copper as suggested above. Use that along with the nord locks and you should be set. You may want to invest in a tap to clean the cylinder threads as well and either use a die or brush to clean the bolt threads (or use new ones) any time you install the muffler.

I've had good lock with this and sometimes have to use heat or run the engine in order to break them loose for maintenance.