• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Need help with an ESC

I picked up a used Reaper 85A ESC w/ sbec built-in and just got around to installing it in an airframe. It works as is, but when I throttle up to full power, all of the sudden it slows down like the battery is going dead (battery is charged), any ideas?

Does anyone know where I can find any programming instructions? I've searched, but all of Reapers original posting of the instructions are no longer listed.

Also, anyone know who makes the ESC? I've heard Motrolfly or ZTW.

njswede

150cc
Excuse me if I'm asking an obvious question, but have you measured the battery voltage as you run it up or tried with another battery?

Nope, duh..... I guess I should have checked that last night. Let me get the power meter out tonight and report back. FYI, I'm converting a glow Sabre 47 profile using a proven setup: Value Hobby G32, recommended prop is 14x7-15x6 and a 80-100A ESC on 4s GensAce power. I'm running a 14x6 Xoar glow prop instead of a 14x6 or 14x7 e-prop. Do you think the glow prop could be dragging it down? It's all I have at the moment to try.

I guess Reaper wasn't in business long as there is hardly any info. available on the net. Sad, because I have one of the Reaper GR60XL V1 w/ 17x6 Xoar e-prop on my 68" Velox and it's been the cats meow for the past two years! I heard V2 was even better due to being able to turn a bigger prop. Thanks, DG

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I checked my lipos and one was at storage charge, and the other full charge. Swede, you were right, evidently, I picked up the wrong battery last night (the one at 3.7v/cell) b...duh! Anyway, I hooked up the other fully charged battery tonight along with the power meter. I was pulling 70A at full throttle, and right at 990 watts so it seems pretty close to what others have seen with this setup on 4s. I went ahead and calibrated the throttle, but it's still slow going from idle, so I'm not sure it is the extra weight/thickness of the prop, or if the ESC is set for a slow start mode. I tried a ZTW programming instructions I found their 85A ESC and the beeps don't match up at all, so I'm guessing ZTW doesn't make the Reaper ESC.

If anyone locates a Reaper 85A ESC programming instructions or who makes it, I would really appreciate if you can pass it along to me. Thanks, DG

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

the regular prop vs. the electric prop can make a big difference...the eProps are lighter, and I think spool up is one of the reasons.

Thanks SnowDog, I'm going to buy some new props today, I need some 15" as well as 14". Is it just me, or do you guys end up with a huge box of extra props and never seem to have what you need? If the weather improves, I may go ahead and maiden it later this week with the glow prop if the e-props don't show up in time. Other than spool up, it seems ok.

SnowDog

Yeah, I have a bunch of props in a box...but I know that as soon as I sell/trade em, I'll need one of em!

No luck so far on finding the instructions for the Reaper 85A ESC. ZTW beeps don't match, and Ken at Motrolfly said they didn't make it, so I'm SOL at the moment. If anyone hears of anything please let me know. Thanks, DG

Yep, I asked, he didn't have any idea. I did end up contacting the owner of Scott who owned Reaper Motors, and he said he sold the ESC and all IP to another company who is now out of business. Scott doesn't have instructions so I guess I'm SOL. I'll probably end up pulling the ESC and replacing it with a ZTW.