• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

New 20cc Profile coming by the end of July--65" Extra 330

Aerobeez

70cc twin V2
Here's my conversion to electric so far. Sorry about the quality of the pics... they were taken in the living room that is loaded with stuff as we rearrange, but I was able to do some work anyway.

I used some standard corner brackets that I put a twist into. I drilled a third hole in the mounting area and bolted the brackets together through that hole and then bolted them to the X bracket that came with the motor. The motor I chose was on my shelf; an Exceed Monster Power Series, 670 kv. Not sure yet whether I'll run this on 5S or 6S, it depends on how the CG works out and what kind of power I get from the two options.

At least the plane is started!

This is too cool! Can't wait to see the progress and how she flies! Please post your progress! Thanks for sharing!

Team Aerobeez

Unfortunately I can't do a whole lot more on the electric until I get the plane assembled, but I'll still keep everyone up to date as it goes.

If the CG is fine with a single battery, then mount it on one side and go 5S. If it turns out that I need more nose weight, then I will go 6S and mount two 3S packs in series as saddlebags in front of the wing area. I'll probably mount the ESC inside the fuse, unless the CG requires the batteries to be mounted really far forward, in which case I'll put the ESC behind the motor and be done with it.

The hardest part of this whole build will be keeping it out of sight... I just finished my 64" MXS and I got a LOT of comments from the wife about the size of it. If I build this one in plane sight so soon afterward, alarms are going to go off, so this way be a bit slow to take shape. Bear with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

well, that's a good start! how did you ensure that any right/down thrust was not lost when you made that bracket?
and in pic 4 it appears that your prop backplate is *very* close to the top and bottom of the forward engine mounts...how much clearance will you have for the prop>
I'll be interested to hear how your motor choice works out!

I'm going to set the thrust with washers, which is why there is no clearance right now. Once the washers are installed (probably tonight) the clearance should be correct. I probably should have given myself more room just in case, but I can always add more washers.

SnowDog

hmmm....you've got me thinking...I have a Saito 1.15ci 4 stroke slimer engine sitting on a Twist 60 that I don't really fly anymore...I bet that engine would toss this airframe around pretty good.....

....hmmm.....

and I still love the sound of a 4 stroke motor....

I'm not a liquid fueled guy... at least not with my planes anyway. I agree that I love the sound of a 4 stroke motor. I even contemplated putting one on this plane as a first, but decided to go with electric.

Last night I added the washers and took another picture to show the clearance. The thrust angles now look correct.

Attachments

• Beez 6.JPG
    Beez 6.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 251
Yes, it just cleared the motor can too. I had to file down the opening a little bit to get the motor to fit properly and thought that I might have to take off some more once I added the angles, but it just made it...