• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
Hey guys, my name is Thomas and I am fairly new to RC planes, I have been doing rather large AP platformed mufti rotors for a little while (hex and octas). I used to fly full scale for many years (over 3K hours in 17 types). One day I saw a Clist ad for a bunch of RC planes, and one caught my eye. You see, I knew who Leo Loudenslager was so I was familiar with this Laser 200 (A Carl Goldberg Model) so I bought it for $99 bucks and built it.

How I got hooked in to RC planes was when I finally made it to my local airfield (Bennett Field, Where the TOC all started). I wanted to try to fly the Laser 200, but I had never flown any RC planes before. I met a real cool guy named Dane who showed interest in my Laser 200, and I asked him if you would mind looking it over with me to see what he thinks. After 10 mis or so, I asked him if he would fly it and trim it all out for me, he did and it flew great.

Long story short, I bought simulator and a week later I soloed the Laser 200. It was my first time ever flying any RC plane. Dane and I got close real fast, that same week he invited me to his house, where he sold me my first foamie (The TH Extra Slick). After two weeks of that, I bought a Showtime 90 and started to take that around the patch. Then I got into F3P planes, now I have three of them and a freestyle with Mambo setup.

I met a guy named Bill at my local gym (I fly Mon. & Thurs indoors) who has been flying got 15 years, and he's in incredible pilot. He has really helped me progress, not my showing me stuff, but by me watching what he is doing. Just a tip, flying inside really tightens you up as a pilot because you learn to work in a small space. Anyways I am really hooked on 3D flying now, because not only is it fun, we have some incredible pilots and planes at Bennett field. Kim Quenette is regularly there just tearing up the airspace with 40% gassers. He's right where I hope to be some day.

So here I am after 3 short months of flying every day, and working with the simulator all of the time, I did my fist successful set of rolling harriers today. It wasn't perfect, but it was at least 35 rolls at 1/3 throttle or so in semi high alpha. Its like this stuff just kind of unlocks and opens up to you when you least expect it.

As of late, here in this forum, I have been asking lots of Newbie questions about motors and planes (the guys have been great too). You see, I am trying to build an up to date 3D machine and settled on a 75.5" extra 300. And just today I just lucked into a EF MXS air frame with extra goodies for a song. I got it from a man here in Vegas who said he taught the guy that started this forum how to fly. He said his name, and that he used to live in Vegas , but moved to Texas. He also said this forum was started because RCG had pissed him off (was he speaking of Gyro? Not sure), hmmm...anyways.

I am a professional photographer, I teach lighting workshops, and write blog posts and make videos tutorials about Photography, Photoshop, Lightroom, ect. Paying the bills with a camera opens up lots of free time for me to better learn 3D. I stumbled across this forum a while back when I did a Google search on my Savox Servos, but didn't start lurking here until I started to fly 3D. I am not shy, I have two kids, a wife and 2 dogs. I like honest people, I treat people with respect who deserve respect, I try to pay it forward everyday, and I talk too much..:)

Well I hope that summary of who I am will give you an Idea of who you are dealing with. Hers is my blog where I do the Photography thing, just in case you are interested. I'll see you on the boards. AKf

YES!!! Another Vegas pilot! I fly at the north field where Kim occasionally flies. He's great to talk to and learn from. Welcome to the forum!

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=2917]Ahblair4[/MENTION] maybe you can coerce... ere... I mean help [MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] to our event in May :D

AKfreak

150cc
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] ... Yeah he flys at Charleston on the carpet. I am terrible with names, but his name is Bill, maybe Don. He goes by graniteguy on RCG. Real nice fellow. Has some cool planes, A Big Foot, an 80" or so AJ Slick. Anyways, there you go, a small world we live in.

gyro

GSN Contributor
[MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] ... Yeah he flys at Charleston on the carpet. I am terrible with names, but his name is Bill, maybe Don. He goes by graniteguy on RCG. Real nice fellow. Has some cool planes, A Big Foot, an 80" or so AJ Slick. Anyways, there you go, a small world we live in.

That's Bill H. I think we taught each other a few things when I lived there... :)

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
@Ahblair The north field? Where is that located?

Prop Nuts' website had the exact address. I believe it's on Horse and Decatur. I should be flying tomorrow along with quite a few others. Beware of the grumpy old folks on the Left side. The cheery, young, 3Ders are on the right :)

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
Hahaha! That's about like it! Even the planes are Sopwith Pups and Camels and some warbirds on the left. IMAC and 3D electrics mostly clutter the right side. When Kim brings out his two 40%ers and 2M F3A ships, we get an interesting blend, as the old timers love gas, and youngster love electric.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Hahaha! That's about like it! Even the planes are Sopwith Pups and Camels and some warbirds on the left. IMAC and 3D electrics mostly clutter the right side. When Kim brings out his two 40%ers and 2M F3A ships, we get an interesting blend, as the old timers love gas, and youngster love electric.

No tolerance baaaaaaaad, getting along goooood!