• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Just want to introduce to you all a buddy of mine that just joined the site. Welcome [MENTION=2732]Torch[/MENTION] ! Torch started flying this year and is doing awesome. He's officially addicted and just got himself his second Aerobeez EPP (the new 330)! I will let torch tell you all about it and hopefully he will do a build thread for us!

Hey Torch (and anyone else that hasn't yet) check out these podcasts http://3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?72-3DRCForums-Official-Podcasts !

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the warm welcome fellas, yes my story seems to bring memories back for some. Ahh the good old days, love it. My control line had a .049 as well. See if I can get a pic, It's at the old mans house across the other side of Aus..
I have to say the vibe on this forum is nothing like anywhere else. Awesome job....
Will post a video soon of where I'm at and hopefully I can get a few pointers to tidy up a bit and ideas on my next moves... I love Cody's 3D turns video, definitely trying these next Sunday.
Regards Darren

Thanks for the kind words Darren! I myself am fairly new to this site but these guys are the reason I left a forum I built to come here! Great guys for sure! Enjoy and if you need anything let us know.

Torch

New to GSN!
Hi all!
For now, Happy New Year! I hope 2014 brings everyone new heights of fun (and minimal repairs!).... Happy landings everyone!

Torch

New to GSN!
Ok, now that I've gotten a few hours' sleep I can give a better intro. I go by Torch because that is what I call it when I take an exceedingly large dirt sample with a plane. I have been into flying and aviation since I was.... 12??? The date doesnt really matter anyway. Lets just say I've been into flying since I was a kid. I'm now 36 so way more than half my life. I have flown many full scale planes from the cessna 152, cassna 210, a 737( yes back in the days when the pilots were allowed to invite guests into the cockpit), to even a T-38 Talon! I was in the civil air patrol in high school and enjoyed the heck out of that, too! Countless thousands of hours on many different sims. And on and on..... I finally took up RC in May, 2013 after buying my first toy heli and flying that indoors for a couple weeks. Bought my first true RC plane (5ch A10 65mm EDF) and flew the paint off it for a couple months. Sadly, it developed a seve case of "taco-wing" one day banking into a turn and basically exploded on impact. Then, it was on to another, milder, trainer that I have called an L4 Grasshopper. Basically, a piper supercub. I love that little plane but its too docile for my flight tastes. So then I bought an Aerobeez full-fuse hybrid Sbach and found my true RC passion in 3D flying!!! There is nothing I love more than to be able to make an airplane do things that an airplane (according to the laws of aerodynamics) should not be able to do!! Building up my skills in 3D has been an awesome challenge and a total blast!! I still have the Sbach and fly it regularly. But then..... I saw the posting from Aerobeez that the next gen of hybrid EPP skinned planes was to become available for pre order! Ladies and Gents, the Extra 330 is here!!! I have only just gotten the airframe built (build review to follow) and have only just ordered the electronics, but let me say right now that this plane is AWESOME!!! Carbon fiber reinforcements and massive deflection make this, in my mind, a younger, extremier, snappier, brother to my Sbach! I'll save the rest of my thoughts on the Extra for the build thread.
I am most definitely addicted to RC flying! I currently have in my hanger 10 or 11 planes (cant remember at the moment), ranging between 2 large gassers, to small park flyer foamies! Flying is mostly what I think about and wish to be doing even when I am at work.
Oh! And I just got my copy of RF 7 to satisfy that itch when the weather is poor or I just dont want to make the drive to the field. That has been great for helping build up skills for sure! Well, this has turned into a rather long winded intro so I am going to sign off and say Happy New Year to everyone!

Happy Landings all!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Just want to say WELCOME to [MENTION=2735]spin[/MENTION] [MENTION=2736]Hogw1ld[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2737]Rich B[/MENTION] Hope you guys enjoy the forum as much as we do. Tell us about yourself and post a pic of your favorite plane or heli!

Rich B

50cc
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I remember as a child my mother buying me balsa airplanes from the dime store; they had a rubber band attached to the propeller that you wound up... So I imagine that is when flying caught my attention. I watched a couple of friends fly a few planes one day last summer, and knew it was time to give it a go. I started flying on a simulator until I felt that I was ready to get plane. So in the middle of September last year I sent up my first plane. That is all it took for me to get hooked. I attended a 3D event last year and was met by a great bunch of people there, which really pushed my desire to pursue 3D flight. I may not be going about this the correct way to start out but I purchased a small 36", cheap, foam YAK 54. I got to fly it a few times, but weather brought a stop to flying. I have re-powered it and await some flyable weather.
I only have one 3D plane now, I found this picture on the internet:
art-21074-820x650.jpg

Here is one that I may get one day:
PA_Bandit_Red-1.jpg

Rich B

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Rich, first welcome. You've come to the right place for support and help.
Your picture brought back memories for me since the Art Tech Yak was my first plane as a re entrant 2 years ago. I learned many things from that purchase and I try to pass it on. This is not intended to trash anyone or any manufacturer but its a "live an learn". I wished I had met the folks I met in some area clubs and on the forums before making that purchase. That being said it did teach me: the limits of inexpensive foamies designed for looks more than performance, how to "tweak" the living daylights out of a poor design to get it only marginal, how to repair foam and re motor a plane, etc. you get the idea and are living it. The good thing is its an inexpensive lesson. Thats not saying there are not good, inexpensive foam airplanes. I own a Peaks biplane that i have a ball with but it has been tweaked alot and has limits. Now your second picture is the direction you should be looking at (IMHO). I tell people with even minimal ability- get a sim, get a "good" EPP foamie (I'm partial to Twisted Hobby's but there are others: 3dhs,etc). Stay away from depron unless you intend to do indoor flying. The TH line has Minis- 48" that will do well indoors or out. With a computer radio you can "tone" high performance airframes down and set them up (with help if necessary) so you can grow with them. We have two members who just bought Extreme Flight 60" Lasers, one is 80 bless his heart. So don't let the videos scare you away from what can be setup to be a very docile, beautiful, easy to fly model.
When the EPP has you in a comfort zone you will want to go balsa! Either a framed balsa, cf EPP which are getting more popular- Aerobeez, 3dhs have some good ones. I went right to balsa in 48" electric then a 60"electric and 78" gas. If I were to go back I'd skip the 48" (unless transport or flying space is an issue, they are a blast). The 60" are nice as a every day fun airframe, a good practice plane for precision (IMAC, freestyle and 3D) and a great backup. If you keep at it (only took me a year!) you WILL go gas! The two big names are Extreme Flight and 3DHS but the 30cc market is expanding rapidly with engine choices and other companies making a name- Aerobeez and Redwing come to mind.
There's one plan that should last a while (only lasted me about a year and a half! "My name is Daren and I am addicted to 3D, XA, IMAC and all things RC aerobatic" recognition is the first step of the cure!
Good luck and post in the many threads here for help along the way. Have fun.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I remember as a child my mother buying me balsa airplanes from the dime store; they had a rubber band attached to the propeller that you wound up... So I imagine that is when flying caught my attention. I watched a couple of friends fly a few planes one day last summer, and knew it was time to give it a go. I started flying on a simulator until I felt that I was ready to get plane. So in the middle of September last year I sent up my first plane. That is all it took for me to get hooked. I attended a 3D event last year and was met by a great bunch of people there, which really pushed my desire to pursue 3D flight. I may not be going about this the correct way to start out but I purchased a small 36", cheap, foam YAK 54. I got to fly it a few times, but weather brought a stop to flying. I have re-powered it and await some flyable weather.
I only have one 3D plane now, I found this picture on the internet:
View attachment 19952

Here is one that I may get one day:
View attachment 19953

Rich B

I wholehearted agree with dth7! The precision aerobatics plane is a good move in the right direction. But the best part about your story is you went for it! Congrats and welcome to the club of fellow addicted 3d enthusiasts. I would suggest also listening to the great podcasts we have here, they are nothing short of hours and hours of great information from the experts. I think I have listened to them all at least twice. Here is the link: http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?72-3DRCForums-Official-Podcasts

And a big welcome to you Rich.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I wholehearted agree with dth7! The precision aerobatics plane is a good move in the right direction. But the best part about your story is you went for it! Congrats and welcome to the club of fellow addicted 3d enthusiasts. I would suggest also listening to the great podcasts we have here, they are nothing short of hours and hours of great information from the experts. I think I have listened to them all at least twice. Here is the link: http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?72-3DRCForums-Official-Podcasts

And a big welcome to you Rich.

And with a dose of "bro love" I wholeheartedly agree with Mike on the "went for it" and the podcasts. I've learned about the evolution of 3D, design aspects of the ARFs we fly and what goes into. The fact that these guys (the big fan club planes here are small companies) don't make a lot of $ on this. There's much to learn and appreciate.
Welcome to all the new folks. Look around, there's plenty of great info here.