• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC new to me dalton 260/300, just want to fly it!!!

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Pistolera;20509 wrote: Ya get extra points if ya know what the little string of yarn is for? (full scale pilots should sit on the hands here :upset: )

I had those on my tricycle when I was little.

I think they help indicate to the pilot when the plane has stalled/maybe sliding backwards on some type of a hammer turn??

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Capt. Roll;20538 wrote: I had those on my tricycle when I was little.

I think they help indicate to the pilot when the plane has stalled/maybe [COLOR= #ff0000]sliding backwards[/COLOR] on some type of a hammer turn??
Ding....ding....ding....we have a winner. In tail slides, it's almost impossible to tell the actual moment when the plane stops and starts sliding back. At that moment everything is at zero G. You can watch the yarn go limp as the slipstream slows down and then flip forward as soon as the slide starts.

To receive your prize, please send your mailing address on the right wing of a boxed and crated 41% Krill Extra 330SC!!!!! :dancing-chicken:

well, this is never fun!!! i have not flown this airplane in over 3 weeks.  it was my back up airplane, i took it with me to Sherman, Texas and back, and then today to the club 40 miles away.  Look at what i found when i got home today!! and granted, it has not been removed from the deck in over 3 weeks. (airplane landing gear is from 2006).  i have ordered new wheels from whiterose and monokote (3 different blue colors) to match it  up.
IMG_6254.JPG

w
IMG_6255.JPG

IMG_6253.JPG

IMG_6252.JPG

IMG_6251.JPG

icon_sad.gif

Looks like there was too much cut out of the bottom of the base of the gear.  While you are in there, inspect the gear plate glue joints.  Personally, I have never been a fan of "gear legs".  I've trailered airplanes 10s of thousands of miles with just bungee cords wrapped around the lg, hooked to eyebolts in the floor of trailers.  It allows the gear to still flex some, without having the airplane completely stationary.

For those who are physics fanatics out there, think about it.  You completely lock an airplane down, free from.movement.  Where and what absorbs the shock or road vibrations in the airframe.  The gear plate does.  I gotta run, but I'll come back in later this evening, when Im not on mobile, and tell a story about "physics" and the damage it caused.

Continuing on with my story......

Fellow out in PA had a brand new Carden 300 built for him by a reputable builder and masterfully finished.  This is no guff, I heard the story from a good friend of mine in PA who also builds and flys masterpieces.  The owner of the 300 babied the airplane to such degree, that he trailered everything.  Had gear legs, put the cute little foam block under the tail of the airplane, only flys it when it is 73F outside and 1 MPH wind from the left.  Otherwise, he will get it out, and set it on display. 

They got into a discussion about physics and such about transporting airplanes.  Joe, like myself, use bungees to restrain the airplane while in transit.  Never an issue with a gear block or LG malfunction.  I just happen to land really hard at times, unexpectedly. 
icon_smile.gif
  This guy, we will just call him Rock, as in hard headed.  Said that noone knows anything about physics and such.  Ok.  No problem.  Please explain why gear legs are the just the shizzle.  "Well, they keep your airplane from moving".  Well, true.  But what happens when in transit about road vibrations, bounces and shock loads.  Where are all of those loads distributed to??  You are eliminating the flex in the LG, itself.  Those loads and shocks are so much more harder on the airframe than just a simple landing.  This story went on for several minutes, and I'm just gonna hit the high points, aight.....  Rock kept on about how awesome they are, and how careful you have to be about transporting your airplanes, etc....  They gotta be secure so no damage happens.  About this time, Joe says he is getting a little pissed.  But also considering the source of the conversation, he just let it go.

So, it just happened to be a day where it was 73F and 2 MPH winds from the left.  So, he decided to fly it.  Took off, flew around and greased the landing.  And on the roll out, slower than a turtle, CRACK, and flop.......  Rock looks around at Joe and says what happened.....  Joe just looked at him and said "Physics at work"!

Ok, story over.  But ya know, it is everyone's choice in how to restrain airplanes in their trailer, truck, SUV, etc....  I don't use anything but wheel chocks when transporting in my SUV.  Use bungees in my trailer, when I had one.  Never have/had a gear failure.  It allows to airplane to be free, but yet restrained.  I wish good luck to those who use gear legs, and other variations of them.  I had thought about them, and then decided against it, not because of the story above, thought about what consequences could be if I use them.  More work that I don't need to do.  I work on these things enough as is, no need to add to the cause. 
icon_smile.gif

LOL!! i love it and of course, what you are saying makes total sense.  i would not argue with you.  i get home later today, and look forward to all the boxes that will contain the stuff to repair this!!

Should be also a new landing gear from TNT.  

well, all i can say is what an incredible day i had today. One of the IMAC (few years back) Unlimited pilots from the Shreveport Area made it out to our club today, and he was actually flying this airplane back in 2006 and 2007 with Jonah, the builder. He has helped me completely trim this airplane now, to where it is a real IMAC monster. I have never flown an airplane this good. Before he left, i told him, you have to let me take a picture of you with this airplane. He is an awesome pilot, and he is also a real life pilot and he flies aerobatic (full scale) as well and performs in airshows...

IMG_7231.JPG