• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

number of flips...

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Where can I get me one of them. Oh and baby not mine. But still thought it was funny.

I got a good laugh! Large volume filters at HK, SDS and I suppose Mile High, Tail Dragger and VVRC and others. You can get them with brass micron elements or paper elements just need to look. Funny thing is I "cheaped out" on these filters and even a 25mm drop header for 15 bucks at hobby king and they have proven stellar! lol I think the filters where 4 bucks.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Everyone at our club runs them dry after the fuel tank is empty...kinda like you do an outboard boat engine..everyone thinks the ethanol causes diaphragm degradation...I've heard arguments for it and against it...an ex-club member who works for Sears on lawnmower and small engines claims you should always run off the residue fuel. I've done it both ways and it seems I have much less trouble starting if I don't run all the fuel out.

Here are my thoughts......."thought......thought......thought......thought.............thought"
Hope this helped!

Seriously though.....
IMO when running dry allows internal gaskets and diaphragms to stiffen and dry out. Keeping them "pickle'd" works for me.

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
My method.

Full throttle open choke ignition OFF.

2-3 flips to empty the cylinders from gas remains.

Close choke close throttle to idle ignition ON.

2-3 flips...engine cough

Open the choke...2-3 flips engine is running.

We don't have ethanol mix here and the fuel is reg 95 so I just keep a 1/4 in the tanks to soften the lines and diaphragms.

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I believe running engines dry stems back to the glow engine mentality. I never ran, or run any of my engines dry no matter what they are, glow or gas. Oh by the way, the people that did run all their glow engines dry were changing bearings quite frequently. When letting the engines sit for a few months I use a mix of Air gun oil and automatic trans. oil, they both have moisture inhibitors in them. Learned this from a couple world class pylon racer's, FWIW

flycanic

70cc twin V2
DA 120 first start like others subsequent starts 1 0r 2 flips no choking.
EME 60 same as above.
DLE 55 same as above.
DLE 111 same as above.
DA 70 ??? probably same as above. have not ran it yet.
Now how many flip off's I get once my back is turned......????? probably many.
How many I give??? NONE:rolleyes:.
Same here dimes. You mean something like this?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I ran mine dry of fuel for years and never had an issue, but the first start of the day took a lot more flips since your refilling the lines. I did it because I keep my airplanes in my family room and I didn't want any fuel or the smell of it in the house. One day I was plugging one in to charge for the next day and I realized it still had fuel in the tank and there was no stink in the house. After that I now drain my tanks, but don't run them dry. My arm has been happier ever since.;)

flycanic

70cc twin V2
I have noticed many like to run filters in their plane's. I never have installed line filters in any plane glow or gas. The only filters I run are in my fuel jug and one in the fuel deliver line to the plane. Think about it any kind of restriction will make it harder for the carb diaphragm to pump the fuel from the tank, same with any glow engine and the small amount of muffler pressure some deliver to the tank. Unless the filters are considered free flow, such as a fine screen mesh style filter. Every so often, to see what the condition of the carb diaphragm is in. I will leave the canopy hatch off and run through my method to start. Choke on, throttle open, ign. off. I never flip the prop. I just bump it through comp. as many times as it takes to get the fuel into the carb and watch to see how much fuel is pulled into the line to the engine, with every bump through comp. This will also help when you suspect you may have an air leak some where. Engines and carbs in good condition will usually pull the fuel in the line to the engine anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2 an inch every time I bump the prop through compression. This way I know how many times I need to bump the prop through comp to get the fuel in the carb. Then choke off, throttle set to low idle Ignition on, flip once or twice and it is running. After the first start of the day it is usually one to two flips, with out choking, After a season of flying it will take many more times bumped through compression to get the fuel in the carb, when this happens it's time for a carb overhaul FWIW

Last edited:

sweetpea

100cc
all but 1 of my 3W's from 55-157's are 8 flips choke on ignition off, then choke off and ignition on 2-3 it starts.

I have one 106 that has to be sopping wet before it will start. It takes a lot of flips, especially after sitting for a few months (like winter). But even from weekend to weekend it is a pain. It's ok once you run it once that day, later that day it'll start no problem.