• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion Organizing RC events

Jungle

50cc
I have organized lots of big events and to date have organized every MEGA huckfest every year by popular vote.
If you want to have a big event here are my tips
AMA rules only unless absolutely required.
Nice raffle items
You HAVE to go to alot of events in your area and support other clubs. If you help them they will help you.
Be very very social at the events with the people there and promote your event in a verbal and friendly invitation instead of walking around handing out a flyer. I have never went to a event because I got a piece of paper. Never in almost 20 years.
Having a talented pilot(s) help some but keep in mind first year events are usually smaller. (>75) that being said DO NOT think paying for one pilot to travel a couple hundred miles and cover his costs in hotels and fuel will result in enough added people to cover the expenses in having him or her there. You want to put in the leg work so people want to come regardless if it is andrew Jesky or billy bob buea dean from the sticks.
Dinner one night. And by dinner I mean a catered dinner that is a full meal and not a meal ticket for a burger or hot dog. I am talking BBQ or something similar. Yes this requires money upfront but it will pay for itself if you do it right and people will enjoy it.
Night activities is great. Light towers are probably the easiest and best for everyone as a group
What's crazy is putting a big event together is like running a campaign and you are out to get votes
Get out and promote it
Talk it up
Give back to the pilots as much as possible and do what you have to do so they get involved in the event. (make a small game like hover bowling or a kiddie pool)
If its a 3d event tell the guys that are known to be against 3d to just stay at home (at your hosting club) because nothing more is a buzz kill then some prick yelling at someone for hovering over the runway.
A good sound system and not only good music but a voice thanking the sponsors and the pilots goes a long way

Do this and your off to a good START. Before long people know your event(s) are worth while. It's is alot of work and takes some money upfront but can be done.
Example
This year I offered very little help in putting together the huckfest in Shreveport but was involved none the less Which was a first year event. The club supported it but had concerns.
We had 76 pilots
Sold 6000 raffle tickets for a turn key plane
Had almost enough stuff so every pilot left with something from the pilots drawings
Had a couple thousand in expenses but in the end we had a great time and the club profited around 4500 bucks after paying off the expenses.

The event should not be about the money but lets be realistic here. You can't eat the expenses just to show people a good time and the club be ok with it. You have to make money to cover expenses and help what ever organization you are raising money for. (club or a benefit).
Camping for those that want too is a must. Lots of people camp at the field at the big events. So keep it organized. Don't let a big motor home set up right on the flight line sideways right at show center even if they they show up a week early. You want to have room for the box trailers and easy up's along the flight line.
I am sure I missed a few but that's a start and what comes to mind.

Ps sorry for the typos. I have been out of town and I am posting from the iPhone.

Joe came to our event this year in Bowling Green, Ky. and we hope he'll be back next year.
We had one pilot come as far as D.C.
Make it fun and let them fly as much as they want to. the pilots take care of themselves. Joe flew the pants off of his planes any time he wanted too. not one crash in three days. If you haven't seen his night show with the lights you're really missing something great. Dennis