• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

BEAUTIFUL!

I hope the post maiden photos look just as nice.:D

Well, being those were posted at noon and it is now 7 I am starting to think _ _ _ _ _ _ .
Boy you hit the nail on the head brother. Been awhile since I was "biting my nails" nervous. But definitely the case. Ah but heck, If we were all sissies in this hobby, there would never be any experience from "downed" and "dirt napping" planes right?

Yup, get lots of my "emoticons" from sherv.net.

Thank you Mike. I seriously was taken back when I assembled her at the field today. I apologize fellas, I just really try hard not to fluff myself on certain things. But this 330 turned out so much prettier than I thought. But alas, the post maiden photos are not quite as brilliant. Damned hot summer sun has all my pretty covering starting to wrinkle. Not to worry though. Not severe. A few minutes with my iron in a couple of spots and she will look just like the Pre-maiden again.

Not to worry @acerc. All is well. I desperately needed an OMN, ("Old Man Nap".)

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok fellas... "OMN" in, time for an update. So here is how it all washed out. There are times that you "just" know in the pit of your stomach that all is going to be great. There are also times that you get that sickening feeling that "DOOM"...."DOOOOM"....."DOOOOOOOM" is around the corner. Maybe a little dramatic but you all get the drift right? I wish I could say I felt totally at peace and completely calm for this maiden. I can't say that at all. I looked back at the beginning of this recover job and thread. Dang.... 8 months, 2 days from start to maiden date. Not really a lot spent in money. As I already had everything to outfit a 40 center. There was the cost of covering, the graphics, headers, canisters, spinner and paint. And the cost of the airframe itself. Still all quite reasonable. But bottom line is, I just really wanted to get this one over. I think the older I get and with each new project, the anxiety gets a little more intense. Maybe I am starting to realize just how much love....I put into these damned toy airplanes. LOL. That said, I made it to the field and started unloading while talking to my son. Oh you know, the same stuff we always converse about. Of course I needed something from the cab of the truck and wouldn't you know it? I locked...(or someone) locked my keys in my truck. Yup, laying right there on my front seat in plane, (pun intended...LOL) view. DOAH...
forehead-slap-smiley-emoticon.gif

What to do...what to do? UGH... After inspecting the way my doors are designed, it was decided there is simply "NO WAY" I am breaking into that truck. So, my son set out on an unexpected journey to retrieve my extra set from home. (He has a key to my house). Yeah I know...If my beautiful red heads come up missing or out on a date with someone other than me, I know who to beat up. LOL. While he was away, I almost...."ALL....most" decided I am not doing this today. We are already off to a bad start. No since in risking it right? Well, superstitious or not, I figured I ain't going anywhere so I might as well do a range test and a run up while he was away. And a final balance test. (I added about 3 or 4 ounces to the stab tube). It was close but may need a bit more. We'll see. The range test was clean and the "Might 157cs Dub" fired right up and ran beautifully. So much so that it convinced me that maybe I will do the maiden after all. I had my sons girlfriend help me. I am really thankful for her. She is quite the little trooper. But she has a bit invested into this project too. So I couldn't disappoint her. Well my son returns with my keys and the decision is a "go". I had him check over the entire plane...(as we both do with each others planes) before we fly. It is a practice that Shayne and I have gotten into since way back in the day. Not every time, however there have been a couple of times we have overlooked something that "could have" possibly cost us the plane. So it is more habit now than anything. Besides, Ole' dad here is getting forgetful about some things. Liiiike… Canopy bolts at Huckfest? Oiy! LOL.

So the word is given... "All good to go". Out to the starting pad we go with the old and very reliable trusty Hitec A9x. (I am still not convinced I need that new Graupner MZ32 all that badly). Hee hee. A couple of flips of the CF Falcon 32x10 and the beasty 1fity7 roared to life. A final control surface check for proper deflection and it was time. I think I must have checked those things like, oh I don't know...7 cazillion times? LOL. Out to the run way and a final check of flight conditions. Zero wind and about 70 degress. Clear skies and the sun out to my East. A final deep breath....(You'll see it on the video when I get it down loaded) and away we go. Pushing the throttle forward to about half and the 330 was barreling down the runway to the West. Pretty much the same way "Baby" would do when I took her out to fly. The tail was up in a matter of inches...or so it seemed. But damn, I really had to pull back on the elevator stick. Nevertheless, she was airborne and UP....UP....UP.... that beautiful bird went. A bit of a right hand bank while climbing to a safe "trim" altitude. Ah yeah, still just a tick nose heavy. This is one of the reasons I like my rudder servos in the tail of the plane. I wish this 330 had been designed with that in mind. But not so much. A couple of clicks up trim and she was flying hands off. "She sure looked good up there", was my first thought. What can I tell you all about the maiden. Kind of boring in one way, but extremely nerve racking in another. Been a long time since my hands and thumbs did the "Watoosy" on my radio sticks. I unleashed the 157 and let the ole girl have the reigns. The 330 is rock solid in the air. And very true in direction. One thing I did notice however is it doesn't take much on the control sticks for movement. She is quick. Might quick and extremely agile. So much so that I almost wanted to fly her like I did my 260. Ah but this is one high spirited bird. Baby was very docile in a sense. Capable, but very smooth with her response to input. The 330 on the other hand is not only capable, but "EXTREMELY" responsive with her responses to the same inputs. I did however notice that even though the rudder is very effective, (It better be for as big as it is) It was also just a bit on the "slack" side of response. I believe it is the "pull/pull" set up. I really like the "push/pull" design but didn't have that option with this plane. So I will probably make a few alterations to the setup. Maybe longer servo arms. I noticed in knife edge she really takes a lot of rudder input to hold her true. And again, that could just be the length of my rudder servo arms. Flying around was pretty good. Shaky thumbs and all. She pulls some very nice and even loops. Big ole loops that are perfectly arched. I can easily see why people are using this airframe for IMAC. She will give that H-9 Sukhoi a run for her money with precision. Long climbing uplines are easy and take next to no rudder input to hold her straight up. Aileron rolls are fast. Really-really fast. Elevator response is very authoritive. No weird unexpected climbs or dives with input. So I tried a couple of maneuvers I like to do with a new maiden. First, some rolling circles. Whoa....she is going to take some getting used to. She'll do them nicely, but definitely different from my Behemoth Yak. But what can a guy expect? This is only the first flight. Another thing I like to see, (check out) is the power to weight ratio. Rats!!! Not exactly what I was expecting. You see, I knew I was down on rpm's with the 157 since I changed out the L-80's for the L-90's. Oh they work just fine, but I don't think it is the right back pressure. I bought them new from The "G" man, as he recommended them. I should have just stayed with a new set of L-80's. But that being said, that mighty dub ran beautifully. Nothing less than perfect. Here is the clincher. The 330's final weight with fuel is well into the 45 pound range. A full 3 to 4 pounds heavier than the 260. Well, it is a bigger airframe no doubt. By a long ways. And the loss of about 300 rpm really was quite noticeable in performance. She will climb out of a hover with no problem at all. But not with the authority the 260 did. My son and I also noticed that when the 157 was on the 260, it would unload that prop and it would be ear piercing when I would come roaring by. Not so much with the L-90's. Oh she will break the prop loose, but once back in level flight, the prop will load back up and there is definitely a huge noticeable difference. That's ok though. Cuz that is an easy fix. I simply reach into my wallet and pull out the trusty "G" man account card. LOL. I tried a little "harrier" action too. Just the right angle of attack on the wings and the 157 will pull her around just like a good little tractor should. A little wing rock to start with but after I figured out just the right amount of throttle vs. the right elevator input and she smoothed right out. It won't be long before I have this one on the deck doing rudder bump dancing with the runway like Baby. LOL

Ok, setting up for the landing was like childs play. The 330 holds a good line and the glide slope is good. But one thing I noticed, (probably due to the much larger airframe and the weight) she will bleed off airspeed quick. REALLY quick. I had to push back up on the throttle to about 1/8th or so throttle till I was about 300 feet from the approach apron. Pull back on the throttle with a few little "blips" and she settles in quite nicely. As with all my maidens it seems, the first landing is...um, "ok". And get better from there. The second landing was "PICTURE" text book perfect. Mains ever so gently "whisping" down the runway.....roll out....tail settles to the runway and yeah. Ah but that one warranted a "go around". Just cuz I can. LOL.

I did two flights today and by the time the second was in, the temp was up to about 93 degrees. I think that the maiden was quite good and came off without a single issue... well, other than my keys being locked in the truck. LOL. So my son and I decided to pack it in and log another successful day at the field. His little 330 and the Behemoth 330 loaded and we said good bye for another week.

All in all the 330 was a pleasure to finally see in the air. She shows really well...that green against the deep blue sky is phenomenal. The 330 has no weird stall characteristics, she is right on the rails and goes where you point her. She is responsive...wow, is she responsive. A whole new level of getting used to a new airframe will be in order for sure.

I honestly want to thank you all once more for staying with me on this little journey. It has been a very enjoyable venture. I truly love this hobby and the enjoyment I get out of it. But what makes it all worth it is the great time I get to spend with all my friends here on GSN and my son at the field.

As mentioned, I do have a video. Not the greatest as we only had our cell phones. My sons girl wants a really good cam corder so she can do some awesome videos. I figure she has earned the rights to one. So maybe Dad will buy her one huh? I will post the maiden video as soon as I can get it uploaded. Like I said, nothing spectacular, but hey...any plane that flies and comes home safely is worth a little looksey.

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ugh... gotta love them YouTube uploads. LOL.... Still loading. Maybe by this same time tomorrow it will be done. yoda-master.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
And finally the maiden video. Cell phones suck when it comes to taking flying videos. LOL. And no, I didn't loose the tail wheel. Them damn White Rose tail wheels are as noisey as their man gear wheels. I will probably change out the wheel on the tiller for a quieter wheel from my stash. Needless to say, my cohert in true Epley fashion, @Shayne Epley right there by my side as he always is!

Last edited: