• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Pilot 40% 330 Recover and Build

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
So I've been looking at new radio systems. Been really thinking seriously on the DX20. But I ran across a brand new one today. Spectrum is releasing a new radio. The iX 12 has a quad core Android processor and a 4in full-color scroll screen. Hmmm!!
View attachment 100662
View attachment 100663

Just to let you know I have been :love: my Spektrum. Ease of programming. Best servo set up programming IMO of any radio I have had. Great telemetry functions and high current capabilities to boot with the power safe Rx's. I use the DX8G2 transmitter and it is all I need for any 3D/sport plane I would want. The i12 does look cool and I hope the screen function is better than the FrSky i10 that I had.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
So I've been looking at new radio systems. Been really thinking seriously on the DX20. But I ran across a brand new one today. Spectrum is releasing a new radio. The iX 12 has a quad core Android processor and a 4in full-color scroll screen. Hmmm!!
View attachment 100662
View attachment 100663
So I did a lot of research on this radio. Good Lord it has everything and does everything and can take you anywhere you want to go. (Via internet) It has a quad core processor with an Android O.S., WIFI, BLUETOOTH, and even can down load music files. You can keep up with your social media networking with Facebook, Twitter, etc. Holy crap, this thing can do it all. Oh wait... did I also mention it can be used as a transmitter to fly rc planes as well? How innovative! Wow, they thought of everything!!!
impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

No thanks, not for me. If I was looking for a new lap top, I'd call HP.

Last edited:

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
So I did a lot of research on this radio. Good Lord it has everything and does everything and can take you anywhere you want to go. (Via internet) It has a quad core processor with an Android O.S., WIFI, BLUETOOTH, and even can down load music files. You can keep up with your social media networking with Facebook, Twitter, etc. Holy crap, this thing can do it all. Oh wait... did I also mention it can be used as a transmitter to fly rc planes as well? How innovative! Wow, they thought of everything!!!
View attachment 100672
The Android platform is interesting, but what I like most about it is the programing looks very simple. I like how you can setup templates, so when you do a new airplane all of your switches are already where you want them. I don't need a radio that can check my email, but being able to have PDF files accessible for setup instructions for different things would be helpful. I do like the fact that the Android portion and the RF link aren't so interconnected that if Android locks up your plane crashes.
Having 12 channels is nice. Before, you had 9 or 20, nothing in between. The price, at $599 isn't extreme, I paid $500 for my JR 11X used. I have no intention of replacing the 11X, but if I did, I would buy the IX12. That way I wouldn't have to replace two 9 channel, one 12 channel, one 7 and one 7 channel helicopter gyro receiver. That would cost more than the radio itself.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
View attachment 100672

I know your eyeballing that DX20 but I got to say my DX8G2 does just about as much programming wise. Just absent of 12 additional channels. I put my money to work at the Rx's. The new and expensive AR9140T coupled with my Tx is about a modest 600 bucks.
The Rx can pass peak loads of 50amps! 35amps continuous. Perfect for all the power hungry servos you can feed it (Bye Bye power expanders!). Through telemetry and the built in flight log I can monitor current, pack voltage and how much capacity has been used on the flight pack/packs. You can also monitor how many frame drop outs happen at the main Rx and the 3 remotes! Some say the FrSky rss link is more robust but the Spektrum DSMX is very robust too and you have all that diversity of maintaining a rss link at any attitude and as far away as you can see with all 4 Rx's. If you want 9channels just get the DX9 Black edition. Basically same as DX8G2 but 9channels. And the brown out complaints you read about is because the other Rx's like my AR8000 don't recover as fast (9140T power-safe recovers in less than half a second from a low voltage condition) and should be used with standard digital servos that would draw about 4 amps each. I have seen my BLS H50B's draw 8 amps! The power safe AR9140T manhandled those brute's today at Maiden :).

BalsaDust

My main reason for going to FrSky was the open source (scares some people) and cheap RX. The software is a challenge but I’m starting to get a grasp on it and the possibilities are endless with the programming