• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Please Support the 2016 XFC!

Being a 2x XFC competitor, I personally know first hand what it takes to prepare for an event of this caliber.

You get to the event, and start watching other pilots fly..... You start rethinking your flying, and subconsciencly do something different in your freestyle, atleast that is what I do...

Its a shame what is happening to the event, thats for sure. I enjoied flying in the event, even only with 3 days notice.

But I think that everyones flying has plateau'd. There really isnt much more that either airplanes or helis can do...... But I could be wrong.

I do wish the event much success in the future.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
But I think that everyones flying has plateau'd.

In general I tend to agree with that statement and not just for the XFC.

I am sure my view is different then the average modeler because I am around r/c everyday but to me it feels like over the last several years we have kind of hit a wall when it comes to competitions in general. You can look at any of the major competitions like the Tucson Shootout, the IMAC Nats, the XFC, even the ETOC, all of them have somewhat struggled in the last few years to get the really big names to attend (I don't mean to take away anything from those that have been in those contests because there are still some damn good pilots in there). I do also agree that we are not seeing different flying then we have seen in the past few years, a lot of the flying tends to look the same now (all of a sudden we have become NASCAR where everything looks the same and does the same thing).

Even writing this I feel like one of those old timers that just cant relate to something anymore and maybe that is true.

The other thing that somewhat bothers me as a manufacturer is seeing comments from individuals saying the industry is not doing enough to support the events (especially from people that have worked in this industry). My family has been sponsoring the XFC and many of these event for as long as I can remember so that really hits a nerve for me knowing what some companies put into sponsoring these events. Sometimes it feels like people forget that most of this industry is made up of small family run businesses and we don't always have huge marketing budgets. Also the amount of request for sponsorship in general is extremely high whether it be for an event or an individual, we probably average 20 sponsorship requests a month.

By all means I want to see these event continue and we will continue to sponsor them but it may be a good thing to mix it up a bit. Also, I want to make it perfectly clear that I feel Frank does an incredible job with the XFC and anything my family and our business can do to support his efforts we will do.

Islandflyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
In general I tend to agree with that statement and not just for the XFC.

I am sure my view is different then the average modeler because I am around r/c everyday but to me it feels like over the last several years we have kind of hit a wall when it comes to competitions in general. You can look at any of the major competitions like the Tucson Shootout, the IMAC Nats, the XFC, even the ETOC, all of them have somewhat struggled in the last few years to get the really big names to attend

The competition may have somewhat reached a plateau, but not the quality flying: the top competitor continue to push the envelope; some maneuvers may not be new, but new twists are added to push further.
The XFC is the only format of its kind, where even the knowns are different: we willl never see a 4 point torque roll in an IMAC contest.
Past big names may not come, but age and reality creeps in, and inevitably life catches up, and many simply get older and move on. New names are always coming up, and with Jase Dussia (only 15 and already a big name), Kal Reifsnyder (only 11 and bound to become a big name) and Tal Roglit (excellent heli pilot), the future remains promising.
Rather that asking the current sponsors to do more for the event, the XFC organization may ask us to help them reach out to more sponsors to help keep the event alive for the future.
Just like Kevin stated, there is a limit to what our size companies can do; but hopefully we can help get more companies to help for support.

WMcNabb

150cc
I would be hesitant to even guess the amount of dollars required to host XFC and I'm sure there a ton of man hours donated by volunteers who make it happen.

Does anyone have a count on number of spectators this event brings to town? How many hotels, restaurants, etc. benefit that may be able to provide support in one way or another?

I was proud to see GSN as a Silver level sponsor. What would it take to move up to the Gold or Platinum level, and would the group here be interested in lending support in that manner?

Finally, how do you put this event into an arena and bring in Monster Energy, Fox Sports etc, along with the fans?

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Finally, how do you put this event into an arena and bring in Monster Energy, Fox Sports etc, along with the fans?

Corporate sponsors outside of the industry seem to be really hard to break through to and I think you just need to know the right guy. It is certainly not for lack of trying. I know the Shootout, XFC and a couple of other events have tried really hard to do this and not really had any success.

As far as the local support from businesses, they actually do a lot in Muncie to support the hobby, just look at the Camp AMA stuff and many of the local restaurants cater for the kids and one of the local hotels helps out as well. One thing to remember is the AMA has something going on almost every month so some of those companies get hit up a lot for support as well.

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
Past big names may not come, but age and reality creeps in, and inevitably life catches up, and many simply get older and move on. New names are always coming up, and with Jase Dussia (only 15 and already a big name), Kal Reifsnyder (only 11 and bound to become a big name) and Tal Roglit (excellent heli pilot), the future remains promising.

I totally agree and I hope my previous email did not seem to discredit them or there ability in anyway because they are all extremely good pilots and for the ones I personally know they are even better people! Herve, don't forget Gabby! (as if you could, LOL) He is certainly one of those pilots that when he flies I stop and watch because he impresses the hell out of me (even if at times he scares me, in a good way).