• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Question? Portable charging station questions

I'm currently building a portable charging station and will be using 2 Power24+ supplies to power 2 PowerLab 8 chargers. I'm stuffing all that into a Pelican Storm 23 and would like to add an intake and exhaust fan in the case for cooling, however I'm not electrician. I've included an image of how I "think" I would wire this up so I could utilize the 24v for my charger but also run the fans off 12v at the same time. I was also wonder if it would be ok to splice into the main cord running into the switch and connect it to an AC case adapter like the one you see here. http://www.progressiverc.com/ac-adap...ine-cases.html I would use this adapter to connect the two. http://www.progressiverc.com/power-s...ine-cases.html Any suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated.

ps_wiring.jpg

On that note, because I haven't ran across any good portable charger build logs, I plan on documenting the full build in order to contribute to this great forum. Most of what I've found in regards to portable charging cases are threads of people showing their cases off. Which is cool and all for ideas, but doesn't help when you finally want to build your own.

I also wanted to say how impressed I am with these power supplies. Not only do they look great, but they put out tons of power and run very quietly. As a matter of fact, my Hitec X4 Plus, which is only 200w, is louder than the 1150 watt Power24+. The switched Y cord is awesome, I'm very happy with this PS!

ziptie

New to GSN!
Crash,

I've done something similar with 24v server power supplies. Personally I use the positive and negative terminals on the first PSU (12v psu) but your way will likely work as well. Just use a cheap volt meter on the inputs to make sure you are actually getting 12v before connecting the fans or you will burn them up. The power draw from the fans should be very minimal (assuming you aren't running a box fan) and won't hurt the operation of the PSU.

The ProgressiveRC folks have a lot of experience building these types of cases and their accessories are top notch. Just make sure if you get a switched outlet that you get one that supports at least 15A, 20A is better. I purchased this one http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=CCM1916-ND&x=0&y=0

Best of luck!

helicow

30cc
Crash - do not want to steal this thread but my question seemed to be related. Hope it is ok.

I would like to see information on what people are using to power their portable charging stations/chargers out at a field without electricity.

I am guessing a generator, deep well boat battery, something alone those lines.

I know my dad and I killed his car battery and do not want to go down that path again.

Bob

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
i use a generator. im working on a write up on charging cases now, should be done in a few hours hopefully!

helicow

30cc
Great - looking forward to it. Will it include the make/model of the generator you use, if not would be interested in what you use. I have no lipos over 3s, yet - I do see 4s in my future but not sure I will ever go over that (never say never - I know). Honda seems a little pricey - but maybe there is a reason. Thanks

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
the reason for hondas is how quiet they are. and they definitely are the quietest on the market. you can have a conversation without yelling with the generator between you and the other person. i am using a generac 3000 watt generator. it is cheaper, but not as quiet. i really didnt include generators in the write up, but honestly the honda is going to be the nicest (for noise reasons, also a quality inverter), then other name brands such as generac and yamaha, followed by the dirt cheap ones.