• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Problem starting new DLE111

I managed to start this new engine once, a few weeks ago. It ran for a few minutes then backfired and stopped. Due to time commitments, I only tried again today to start it. Fuel is reaching the carb (it drips out onto the ground!!!). Both plugs are sparking... but it won't fire. After lots of attempts, it gives a small backfire and then nothing. I tried priming the carb but this had no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Sounds like a tuning issue to me. I had a similar issue starting my dle35 for the first time. Make sure both needles are set to about two turns out. It will probably be a little rich but should run. Then you can tune it better from there.

I'm guessing you have had other gas engines but I will say this at the risk of boring you ;). If you have managed to flood the engine (fairly likely if you have been flipping for a while) it will not start. Pull the plugs to see if they are wet before wearing out your arm. I'm guessing the issue is tuning though and you might get that little pop either too rich or two lean. Count the turns as you screw them back in. I'm interested to hear how they were set and it will let you get to the same spot if you end up wanting to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried again just now. I first removed the plugs to make sure I was getting a spark (I am!). I then closed both needles and opened them (HI=2.25 and Low=2.5). I tried starting it but nothing. I then held the prop and turned it over and could feel a kick (but not as strong as I was expecting). As if there was only a little gas in the chamber. The fact that I'm getting a spark would lead me to thing it's not an ignitions issue????

Bipenut53

150cc
Hi Ron, I think the ignition module is sparking fine but if you are saying that it back fires then you probably need to advance the ignition pickup. It is the little plastic piece at the front of the engine held on with two screws, if you are facing the engine, loosen the two screws a little then slide the pickup to your right about 3-4 mm and re tighten the screws and try again

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
No worries. Just needs to try one thing at a time. I'm not sure why he did 2.5 on the low side. I'm guessing when tuned properly after he gets it running it will be closer 1.5 turns. I don't think it will run at 2.5 turns on the lsn... just flood the motor.

Bipenut53

150cc
No worries. Just needs to try one thing at a time. I'm not sure why he did 2.5 on the low side. I'm guessing when tuned properly after he gets it running it will be closer 1.5 turns. I don't think it will run at 2.5 turns on the lsn... just flood the motor.
I agree very much