Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Project Stearman

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by rodman, Sep 1, 2014.

1. thepamster

thepamster 70cc twin V2

Is that a BT-5 rocket tube body?

2. Super08

Super08 70cc twin V2

I should have known you would be familiar with Estes products Pam. :)

3. thepamster

thepamster 70cc twin V2

Hey, what's that suppose to mean? Lol.

I did build some rockets when I was a kid.

4. Super08

Super08 70cc twin V2

It just shows how much and how long you have been an avid person in the hobby. :)

5. thepamster

thepamster 70cc twin V2

Rodman, do you have any photos of your ailerons and how they are constructed? I am interested in how the leading edges are constructed, shaped, and hinged.

6. The cardboard tubes and miniature piano hinges I got from (Nick Ziroli plans online)

the description reads "Cardboard tube 11/16 x 36in (for servo wires) Qty.6 $ 5.00"

they were listed under Catalog - Building supplies and tools - bottom of the wing tube listing.

here is a link to their home page http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/home_frameset.html

I was looking around for the miniature piano hinges when i found the tubes on his page.

7. The wings and ailerons were already constructed and covered when I bought the airframe, the aileron pocket is the typical square box

the Aileron top leading edge is slanted farther forward then the bottom and it is hinged from the top of the aileron.

This means that most of your movement will be upwards and very little downward, but because this is a flat bottom airfoil

that's what you will need anyway to overcome the high lift of the wing.

Lower right wing.

[​IMG]

Aileron top view

[​IMG]

aileron leading edge

[​IMG]

8. Here I cut a piece of mini piano hinge for the hatch

this and the cardboard tubes I got from Ziroli models.

[​IMG]

Trial fit of the hatch and hinge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I have the hatch clamped in place to give me an idea how its going to look and work.

[​IMG]

Once everything is covered the plywood will get sheet metal over it

with a lot of screws just like the real airplane has

stangflyer likes this.
  9. thepamster

thepamster 70cc twin V2

Thanks for taking the time to post pics of your ailerons.

Nice job on the hatch. That looks cool.

10. Sure no problem.