• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale RCM 1/3 Scale Champ Build

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks.
From what I can tell, the 3200 was used on later models of the Champ, mid 1950's maybe. There was also a Maule brand used. Don't understand the rime or reason for selecting one over the other. Actually started making a 3200 look-a-like but changed after reviewing the service manual.

It's fun doing all that research! From the looks of it, I think the 3200 is a locking tail wheel of sorts. The Previous versions just swiveled. If you look at the new versions, the hub/bearing area is a lot thicker to support bearings and a unique mechanism that when down force is applied or full deflection it will swivel freely. The idea is for pavement and cross wind taxing your tail wont be wandering around. Some models even have a remote lock. The bush planes usually just remove the linkages all together an let that little wheel do what ever the heck it wants. LOL

With your chosen tail wheel it appears you have selected the correct scale appearance, and what a excellent reproduction from the looks of it!

TonyHallo

150cc
Managed to finish the tail post clamp and rudder arms. Think I may split the cowl into three pieces next.
IMG_2357.JPG

TonyHallo

150cc
Time to split the cowl. The cowl was leveled to the angle of the nose bowl and a laser level was used to lay out the cut line. The nose was removed and began making the flanges for the cowl section. Doing one side at a time, no hurry. A piece of 1/32" ply and pairs of magnets are used to clamp the cut straight. Once the other side is completed, then the bowl flange will be completed

IMG_2360.JPG
IMG_2361.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice job on the tail wheel that is a master piece.
The cowl man it hard enough just doing a standard split but three that has to be so it looks Scale. Done a few my self but really like the way you only split one side at a time good thinking I will have to borrow that idea in a little while when I split the cowl for the extra.

Alky6

150cc
Holy cow! Getting caught back up and the work you’re doing is quite incredible! The detail....

How are you planning to temper the spring steel? Quench in oil? How are you heating it up and controlling the temp?