• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Rudder servo arm

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
So I use a 4" offset SWB arm for my rudder and as many they are threaded for the ball link screws.  I am curious how you guys have the screw setup, do you just thread the screw with blue loctite to the servo arm or do you screw plus use a nylon lock nut on the back too?  I have been using the nut too but is a PITA to install and remove with the screw threaded because you can't get easy access to the nut. 

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
The bent nose works great if the hole was not threaded but once the screw is bottomed out with the thread it is very hard to tighten the nut.  I need to adjust my cables and I just may replace the screw only with Loctite.  Thanks for the feedback

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Funny you should ask this very question. Two nights ago, I changed out my rudder servo arm on my Pilot Edge. I had good throw, but I wanted "MORE"....hee hee. Anyway, I have always used the lock nut on the bottom side of the arm. I remember saying to myself, this really is a 
PAIN IN THE A$$, But I am too anal about not taking chances. I would sooner fight it just a tad, (even with bent nose pliers or hemostats handy) than to go without the nut. Short answer? Blue lock tight and lock nut is what I use.

Often times a small metric wrench, I think 7mm, will fit those pesky lock nuts.  Start the retainng bolt thru the ball link and let it be exposed a few threads.  Then I will reach in with my fingers and start the nut.  Then I'll back the screw out until I feel the nut reach the servo arm.  Then use the bolt to draw up the nut and then once tight, give it just a smidge more with the wrench.  
icon_smile.gif

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
Often times a small metric wrench, I think 7mm, will fit those pesky lock nuts.  Start the retainng bolt thru the ball link and let it be exposed a few threads.  Then I will reach in with my fingers and start the nut.  Then I'll back the screw out until I feel the nut reach the servo arm.  Then use the bolt to draw up the nut and then once tight, give it just a smidge more with the wrench.  
icon_smile.gif
Yep that is my process now but I have not found a open end wrench to fit.  Thanks

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
The easiest way I have found is to remove the servo arm and put the nuts on, then just put the arm back on and you are good to go.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
In the past I have also put 1 of the ends on the bottom of the arm and 1 on top. That way if they are crossed, they don't rub together.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ohio.AV8TOR said
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
icon_smile.gif

Yep that is my process now but I have not found a open end wrench to fit.  Thanks
LOL....I have done this too.... Also have taken the servo arm back off to tighten the nut as Eric has done. 
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
stangflyer said

Ohio.AV8TOR said
Bunky.F.Knuckle said
icon_smile.gif
LOL....I have done this too.... Also have taken the servo arm back off to tighten the nut as Eric has done. 
winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Makes it super easy. Just get everything setup like you normally would then take off the arm and put the nut on. Easy peasy.