• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Scratch build Laser 200

while waiting for more balsa , I have started on the second wing, cutting the 1/2 inch foam and gluing these on the first board, once this is done then glue to top board to make sandwich. , more to come

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 342
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 338

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
ready to be hotwired

I cant remember if you've talked about your hot wire setup or not? I have a 3.5ft hot wire I acquired from a friend that passed away and all it has is two alligator clips and a ground. No idea what power source to use. I've been following your build here and I don't recall you talking abut the hot wire setup you use for this. Thanks!
489FB21F-8941-4516-9877-FAEC57C3D03E.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I use a low voltage lighting transformer for my bow now, 14 VAC, in the past I used my car battery. Both work fine.
Thanks! Interesting. I see there are quite a few options. 12-15V with wattage being the largest difference. What should I be looking for in Wattage. Seems like 300w is commonly used for lights, but they go from about 10-900w from what I can find.
Also, what size NiChrome or equivalent wire size to you use for the pink foam?

TonyHallo

150cc
My 56" bow runs at 7 amps. I use .025" carbon steel mig wire, never tried nichrome but would like to some day. I cut white 1# and pink, green blue 2# foam the same wire and power supply. If i use a shorter bow I add additional mig wire to the circuit to make up for lower resistance. All of my foam cutting and vacuum bagging is home brewed and cheap.

I cant remember if you've talked about your hot wire setup or not? I have a 3.5ft hot wire I acquired from a friend that passed away and all it has is two alligator clips and a ground. No idea what power source to use. I've been following your build here and I don't recall you talking abut the hot wire setup you use for this. Thanks!
View attachment 112143

This is my setup and it works well for me, but this is not saying its the only one, you might use this as a basic guide line

while the bottom spar is glued in place , and the glue setting, I also cut and installed the servo platform, more to come

Attachments

• 45.JPG
    45.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 42.JPG
    42.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 295
  • 43.JPG
    43.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 304
  • 44.JPG
    44.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 259
Thanks! Interesting. I see there are quite a few options. 12-15V with wattage being the largest difference. What should I be looking for in Wattage. Seems like 300w is commonly used for lights, but they go from about 10-900w from what I can find.
Also, what size NiChrome or equivalent wire size to you use for the pink foam?

check the video I just posted I use a 10 amp variac, I know not cheap but I have been using this one for more then 30 years whithout as much as a hiccup, but again , this is one of many ways of doing it

while things are setting on the wing and waiting for some balsa , I started to look at the canopy from my old Laser and it fits well sort of, but it will work, also the cowling , will need a few notches here and there and it should work, but remember this is not a scale job, it is an aerobatic airplane for my pleasture and when I cover it, you will be scandalized LOL

Attachments

• 46.JPG
    46.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 47.JPG
    47.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 48.JPG
    48.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 49.JPG
    49.JPG