• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Scratch build Laser 200

If I understand you correctly the bulkhead that the stringer is being glued to is made in a 3D printing machine. So why can you not make it wider at the locations we’re the stringer is glued to a bigger and better glue joint.
I suppose I could but as you can see in the video, it is plenty strong , as much if not better then a plywood bulkhead, but the one in the video is not that actual bulkhead but a sample made to the exact same material and thickness etc

The time factor, which of the three is the time consuming, drawings, printing, and testing. Testing I get sometimes when it is done you say to your self by making small adjustments it will be better, stronger and or lighter.
In which format are the drawings done and how is it presented to the printer.
Well. Not a bad idea. Imagine they are built flat. One could extend the material at the outskirts of the areas that the stringers attach to. It all boils down to how much time you want to invest in it. I would think lightening holes and beefed up supports would be the way to go. Look at modern carbon formers... not much there. It definitely plausible. Just a considerable amount of time drafting, printing, testing, repeat to make it just right whereas a solid piece is sufficient and sounds like lighter than the ply!

Yes the work for this is different then with a saw and plywood but on the other hand I have been designing with solid works for more then 20 years now, so I am quite comfortable with it, and the printer works while I do something else, and the printer doesn't make any mistakes , if there is a mistake, its totally my fault , once I have the drawing from soliworks, I load it directly to Cura, which is the slicer program for the printer and that takes about 30 seconds to do, then on to the printer and I let it go and I'm off to the shop.

here are the 3 phases

Attachments

• Cura F3.JPG
    Cura F3.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 291
  • F3 part.JPG
    F3 part.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 317
  • former F3 solid works.JPG
    former F3 solid works.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 290

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Have you thought of using hollow CF square tubes for stringers ? I bet they would glue in nicely too. Save weight and still be rigidly strong. I have wanted to build a model using conventional construction techniques but with modern materials instead of balsa.

Have you thought of using hollow CF square tubes for stringers ? I bet they would glue in nicely too. Save weight and still be rigidly strong. I have wanted to build a model using conventional construction techniques but with modern materials instead of balsa.

Interesting Idea will have to look into it

any idea where I might look for these CF hallow square tubing?