• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servo bench testing

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
I just ordered 4 servos for 16 bucks to see if they are what they say they are. They are called TowerPro MG995 Digital High Speed Servos. Ever hear of these? I ordered from US seller on Ebay.
Specs:
Metal Gear Servo Tower Por.
Great for airplane, truck, boat and racing car .
Operating Speed (4.8V no load) : 0.17sec / 60 degrees.
Operating Speed (6.0V no load) : 0.13sec / 60 degrees.
Stall Torque (4.8V): (13kg/cm) (180oz/in.).
Stall Torque (6.0V): (15kg/cm) (208oz/in.).
Temperature Range: -30 to +60 Degree C.
Dead Band Width: 4usec.
Operating voltage: 4.8 - 7.2 Volts .
Net Weight: 55g .
Dimension: 40.6 x 19.8 x 37.8 mm
Color :Black.

Have a few flights on these servos, they work :) They are slow on 6V so I put them on 7.2 and much better. Here is a video on 6V from yesterday. Sorry no zoom
[video=youtube;60kXuS229EY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60kXuS229EY[/video]

FlyMike1

70cc twin V2
These are the ones on the plane.
[video=youtube;Dux4cG6LS1c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dux4cG6LS1c[/video]

skibum44

70cc twin V2
Well I just got five Futaba BLS-172SV servos for the EF 91 Extra.
They peaked at 516oz-in and about 6.5A
A few things I like better then the MKS HV777:
It's brushless
38 oz-in more torque
Much more quiet... Nearly dead silent in normal operation
Slow to center when powered on... Less wear and tear on servos and surfaces.
10g lighter per servo, 50g (1.75oz total)... 20g of which is right at the tail.
Shorter case, not as bulky for shallower servo bays.
They are s-bus... Might try Futaba radio system again someday.

Prefer the MKS HV777 for:
Price... Futaba was $168 shipped each after Tower's savings vs $108 shipped for the 777s
Titanium gears
Joe smith uses them... LOL

The 172s will be replacing the 777s just because I got them. Anyone looking for a nice set of 50CC servos that would be more then enough for bigger birds I will be selling my 4 flight old MKS HV777... All 5 for $475 shipped, $64 off new. Will be pulling them after this weekend. Would like to keep them, but have to get some money in the hobby fund after the the pricy Futaba purchase.

[video=youtube_share;LmOXEoGW-lQ]http://youtu.be/LmOXEoGW-lQ[/video]

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to pull my 172 out of my slick and test it. My 157 only did low 400s. I know it was enough for my 110 yak. I have a savox 2230 in there now. If that fails, then I will have to go to a tray.

We tested a little Turnigy micro servo that seems to be doing better than the 5087s for durability. I did some testing on some XQs, but they were under spec. We discovered something from the micro where swinging it to the pull helped out a lot and got closer to spec, so maybe there is something with starting from 90 degrees. Gary keeps saying it should not affect the result, but that is the only way we got a decent test with the small servo.

The TSX65 has been on backorder for months, and does not look like that will end soon as it seems to be pushed back to September now. The Turnigy 3509s have been doing well so far. Tried to fly them today, but the landing gear plate in the plane started to be loose so it needs some TLC before more flying. I wanted to get some of the speedier versions, but they are backordered. I also want to get some brushless Hitecs, but stock has been a issue there as well. I also bought some KingMax servos the other day. I should get one and test it as the specs looked pretty good for the money.

Also got a BLS-172 from hobby services replacing a busted BLS-157 so I will test it next time I have the tester out.

Just did some further testing with the improved rig.

Brand new Savox 2231 was 500 oz-in
Brand new Futaba BLS-172 was 450 oz-in
Brand new Turnigy 3509 was 470 oz-in
several season old Hitec 7954SH was 370 oz-in

[MENTION=2470]RedwingRC[/MENTION] gave me a few servos to test back at Toledo and I did not believe the first tests. Redid them today

XQ 4113D was 240 oz-in which is better than spec
XQ 4120D was 280 oz-in which is a little under spec, but I am going to redo this one as the 4113 got better once I tweaked the rig and I did this one first.

All of these are tested using a Spektrum RX fed by a Castle BEC pro set to 8.5V

SnowDog

Just did some further testing with the improved rig.

Brand new Savox 2231 was 500 oz-in
Brand new Futaba BLS-172 was 450 oz-in
Brand new Turnigy 3509 was 470 oz-in
several season old Hitec 7954SH was 370 oz-in

@RedwingRC gave me a few servos to test back at Toledo and I did not believe the first tests. Redid them today

XQ 4113D was 240 oz-in which is better than spec
XQ 4120D was 280 oz-in which is a little under spec, but I am going to redo this one as the 4113 got better once I tweaked the rig and I did this one first.

All of these are tested using a Spektrum RX fed by a Castle BEC pro set to 8.5V

thats really good info...is there any way to bench test the speed as well so we can see if the speed rating are good or "imagined" as well?

Tell me how to do it and I can accomodate. I am guessing I will have to use a high speed camera as there is no way I can do a stop watch that quickly. The quickest camera is have is only 60 fps I think which would not be real accurate. I think the measure is per 60 degrees of travel, and each frame would be .016 seconds.

Also which servo you want tested as this will be a PIA as I will have to measure say 30 degrees up and down and set the end points and then setup the camera rig.