• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Smaller trailers for 40% + sized Giants!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Anyone have any suggestions for a trailer to haul two 40% airplanes? Right now, I have a 16 x 7 x 6 trailer, and it is huge, I keep 4 airplanes inside of it. IMAC season is starting, and I do not want to lug this around. MY gas mileage is 8 MPG pulling that around. I am looking for something that maybe has 4' height, that way, there is less drag. or maybe, that the front of it, is tapered down, so at least the front of it is below level of my SUV.

Snowmobile trailer might work.

Alky6

150cc
Anyone have any suggestions for a trailer to haul two 40% airplanes? Right now, I have a 16 x 7 x 6 trailer, and it is huge, I keep 4 airplanes inside of it. IMAC season is starting, and I do not want to lug this around. MY gas mileage is 8 MPG pulling that around. I am looking for something that maybe has 4' height, that way, there is less drag. or maybe, that the front of it, is tapered down, so at least the front of it is below level of my SUV.
Cam - I would suggest talking to Cameron Irwin in Southern California. He takes a small trailer (guessing 5x10 or so) that is also low profile and loads two planes in it to haul to contests. It was pretty slick and seemed conducive to getting great fuel mileage (light and small frontal area). Good luck!

Wacobipe

100cc
I have a 5X10 trailer that is 5' tall inside height... easily would hold those planes. I pull it with a little BMW and it barely impacts gas mileage at all....maybe 2MPG at most.

C1EDC1FF-7B18-4D7A-8D3F-1E69860F1A34-6845-000005F3BEF96D73_tmp.jpg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok bare with me but going to ask some questions. I agree with front of the trailer be pointed to some degree does help. But from very thing I understand is that most of the drag is from the big flat rectangular on the back of the trailer. Look at any thing that is mounted on a wing is a big round dome on the front and it tapers to a point. Why?.... I agree that the smaller the frontal area the less drag.
So if mounted a four corners pointed primed on the back trailer after everything is loaded what do you would happen and the outcome.

Alky6

150cc
Ok bare with me but going to ask some questions. I agree with front of the trailer be pointed to some degree does help. But from very thing I understand is that most of the drag is from the big flat rectangular on the back of the trailer. Look at any thing that is mounted on a wing is a big round dome on the front and it tapers to a point. Why?.... I agree that the smaller the frontal area the less drag.
So if mounted a four corners pointed primed on the back trailer after everything is loaded what do you would happen and the outcome.
Just look at the trucks going down the road today. Many are beginning to add fairings all over the trailer, including the rear. Rounded coves on the top corners of the trailers make a huge difference. On our livestock trucks, adding a wind deflector on top of the cab to push air over the front of the box was good for 10% better fuel mileage. The v-nose on the trailers just adds additional interior length without going longer on the sides. - However, many things you do may not pencil out for savings in fuel mileage unless you really put a lot of miles on....