• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Smoke setup?

simon737

New to GSN!
Hi Joe,

What is your preffered smoke setup/system?

What components do you use from tank to muffler and also how do you secure everything? Tie Wraps? Safety wire?

Thanks!

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
We have run both Harris and Sullivan skywriters. The Sullivans have better control over the amount of smoke. The Sullivans seem to be fragile though, break easily. So we take em apart and secure the wires a bit better and put monkey crap around the motor to secure it better. Standard checkvalves and filters, high temp tubing on the mufflers.

simon737

New to GSN!
Great thanks!

I'm currently using a powerbox smoke pump but having issues regulating the flow via my transmitter, with the Sulivan I'm guessing you have it mixed to the throttle, how long does a tank usually last (approx flow rate) and do you find regardless of that rate that the airframe still gets a coating of smoke fluid on it?

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Subscribed. I have the TME smartsmoker pro that is supposed to be able to mix with the throttle but I have yet to figure it out. Using an A9. I think I need to look at the manual again for the pump... maybe I have a jumper in the wrong spot or something. Right now I can control the flow with my EPA adjustment. My plane is getting really slicked with oil as well but I have yet to turn it up to a point where it is giving me less smoke (indicating the muffler is cooling off). Any help here would be great!

simon737

New to GSN!
Since writing the above I've been searching for the best way to mix using the A9 and it seems to be using the dual engine option is the way to go. You can then create a separate throttle curve to use alongside your engines curve (if you have one). I haven't had chance to try it yet but will this weekend.

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Yes we use a throttle mix. Been told that if your plane gets all sticky then your using to much oil. I usually laugh, we always have a mess to clean up. Granted to much oil
doesn't smoke well, and you need to set it so you get a good smoke. But your still going to get to clean your plane afterwards.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thanks Joe. simon737 I'll check into what you are saying there when I get a chance. Life is crazy right now.

simon737

New to GSN!
Please to report the dual engine option works, just select the option in Model Setup, then go to throttle curve push on where it says THR and THR2 will appear assign a switch and draw a curve for your smoke pump with the switch on, and then a completely flat '0' position with the switch in off so it doesn't pump.

Make sure your smoke pump is in the correct channel or re-assign it to where it is, and thats it - I just need to fine tune mine with the curve and also the EPA settings.