• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Splitting Cowls made easy

fencelake

70cc twin V2
It seems to have worked. Cowl came apart clean; it took a little effort though but not to the point that I thought I may break/crack the cowl.

The halves match up nicely and the fit between the two is snug.............over all, great results for my first attempt at anything like this.

Terry........thanks for your guidance and time to put together the videos. I ordered some 4-40 and 6-32 t-nuts from Trimcraft Aviation this morning, not sure which size will be best for this size cowl. They should be here by Saturday, if so I can get this project finished this weekend and get the cowl ready to paint.

View attachment 10634

Nice! Buttered Pam it is!

fencelake

70cc twin V2
Do you have to use West Systems type products, or can I use a 30 min finishing epoxy to wet my fiberglass? Is there a difference?

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Do you have to use West Systems type products, or can I use a 30 min finishing epoxy to wet my fiberglass? Is there a difference?

I've been using the Zap Z-Poxy Finishing Resin to repair this cowl and for the glass lip. I've not used the West Systems product before so I can't give you a comparison but the Zap mixes easily and provides about 20 minutes working time. I've mixed 5 gram to 30 gram amounts and it has been very consistent from batch to batch.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Even Gorilla glue works fine....
DSC00625.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp

You can use a lot of different things......I even did one as a test once using thick CA......however I would NOT recommend this to anyone. I would not use regular "Epoxy" that you use for bonding things, it should be a finishing resin. You may get away with regular epoxy with a small amount of alcohol in it, but I have not tested that myself. Zap finishing resin will work, just has to sit a little longer to cure.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, finally got to working on my two EF planes so I joined those cowls back together. The reason I had to wait until I had engines mounted again is it's important to make sure that you will not put a mounting tab / screw right where it will run into a plug wire or something else.

First step is to mark where you want the screws, I just measure them and mark it with a sharpie about 1/4" or slightly more from the cut line. Tape the cowl halves back together if you haven't already and use a sharp 1/8" drill bit to drill the mounting holes. Assemble the mounting tabs (if you are building one of my kits), or just use some small pieces of lite ply. Install blind nuts into the plywood and install some bonded washers on the mounting bolts. Put a generous dab of goop on the lower 1/3 of the plywood (not over the screw hole) install the tab with the mounting screw and tighten it just enough to make the cowl halves line up nicely. Let dry for several hours or overnight.

Cut and install your cowl (I'll post a couple pics, although it's just standard stuff).

Attachments

• _DSC0110.JPG
    _DSC0110.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 166
  • _DSC0111.JPG
    _DSC0111.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 165
  • _DSC0112.JPG
    _DSC0112.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 169
  • _DSC0113.JPG
    _DSC0113.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 167
  • _DSC0114.JPG
    _DSC0114.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 174
  • _DSC0115.JPG
    _DSC0115.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 168
  • _DSC0116.JPG
    _DSC0116.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 171

fencelake

70cc twin V2
So if I have 20 min "Finishing" epoxy, then that'll work the same as if I went to West Marine or something?