• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Telemetry Usefullness

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've always thought "knowing" what my engine temp, rpm and battery useage is would be kind of cool. Along with GPS and real time air speed pito tubes adding to the knowledge of air speed, a variometer... (rate of cliimb). I've been wanting to add this feature to my 260 and my Sukhoi. Just not certain if it is practical and meaningful to cough up $180.00 bucks. It would be nice to know, however.... How many of you are using telemetry on your planes? To what extent of sensors are you using? Do you find it an advantage? Is there a practical usefullness of having telemetry? What do you like best about it? Before I cough up the cash, I would like some input from others that are using it and their experiences with them. 

Thanks.....

Alky6

150cc
I am using the Spektrum version on my EF78 w/ VVRC 40. Using temp (only have one temp sensor which is installed on the rear cylinder) and RX battery voltage - have a 9 ch powersafe that powers everything. The real time temp sensor is enormously useful. Was able to troubleshoot some baffling problems and make significant improvements. The rx bat voltage (again real time) is very useful as well. It is intersting to see when the voltage drops during specific maneuvers or just general overall battery health. The one piece I am missing, which I would like to add is the RPM. I have the RCXl digital display which is helpful on the ground, but I would really like to know how a prop performs in the air as well. Says a lot about the slip. Speed would also be a useful input in that regard, but I really can't see a need for it for me - at least where I am at right now.  One thing i did find FWIW is there are two versions of the Spektrum telemetry unit, the full range and the fly-by. My understanding is the fly by is very unreliable as its range is extremely limited.

In a addition, we did purchase an eagle tree telemetry unit to use on our full scale race boats with limited success. It didn't have anywhere near the advertised range, but again that was over water and we expected a 3/4 mile range. It barely made it 150 yards before it quit.

-Paul

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey, good info to have. I think the things I am most interested in are rpm, temp of the motor and battery useage. Granted, the other features such as the GPS, (which gives obvious input, i.e., altitude, heading and such as well as speed) pito tube airspeed and other information like the variometer would be really cool to have. (Cuz we all wanna know how fast straight up we're going right?) 

Hoping more will jump in on this discussion. I would welcome everyones input on this. Thanks Paul for taking the time to offer your input.

Rob

reyn3545

100cc
I used an eagletree system years ago and it worked great.  I would see a little degradation of the signal at the ends of the field, but not enough to lose any data.  I only used it for cylinder head temps, RPM and voltage, but it worked great.  I haven't tried the new integrated telemetry yet, but I am building a plane now that will use it.  I'm very interested to see how cylinder temps and RPM's are doing in the air.

New to GSN!
I use engine temp and Rpm sensors in all my gassers now. I find it useful. 

Rx voltage on LiFe  batteries is not so useful, but would be obligatory on LiPos. 

All my electrics have MUI battery sensors to give me warning when capacity is below 20% perhaps not so useful on an aerobatic where a timer could achieve the same thing, but powered gliders it is very useful. 

Varios on the gliders is obvious useful too. 

I am not so sure about GPS and speed sensors, cool to have but ultimately just gimmicks for most people. 

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I use engine temp and Rpm sensors in all my gassers now. I find it useful.

Rx voltage on LiFe batteries is not so useful, but would be obligatory on LiPos.

All my electrics have MUI battery sensors to give me warning when capacity is below 20% perhaps not so useful on an aerobatic where a timer could achieve the same thing, but powered gliders it is very useful.

Varios on the gliders is obvious useful too.

I am not so sure about GPS and speed sensors, cool to have but ultimately just gimmicks for most people.
Although the GPS would be a cool feature, I think I have decided to go with the engine temp, rpm and rx. voltage monitor. I like the idea of being able to monitor how much battery power is being used for each flight as well as any spikes in current draw.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
On my EF 104 I have temperature of the my left cylinder with an alarm and voltage of my RX batteries. I have considered the GPS module to get airspeed and altitude etc. but have not considered it essential. I did create space for it though on my RX tray in my plane.

The temp sensor does let me know that pulling into a prolonged hover or high alpha decreases air flow and that temps rise quite quickly. It also allowed me to assess the effectiveness of different venting options.

wesley.

70cc twin V2
@stangflyer

Stang i rigged up a plane with all the crap i could get in there i learned a few things

1- it wasn't near as fast as i thought it was
2- things seemed higher than they really were
3- after a few flights the only thing i cared to see was temp and battery

I really dont mess with it any more the only thing i really like is the battery voltage but not even enough to put it on the rest of my planes.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
@stangflyer

Stang i rigged up a plane with all the crap i could get in there i learned a few things

1- it wasn't near as fast as i thought it was
2- things seemed higher than they really were
3- after a few flights the only thing i cared to see was temp and battery

I really dont mess with it any more the only thing i really like is the battery voltage but not even enough to put it on the rest of my planes.
Thanks Wes.... You may have just saved me enough money to buy another Falcon. LOL.... Appreciate it.

wesley.

70cc twin V2
If you want to try out something i have most all of it you are welcome to borrow to see if you like. Im running spektrum