• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
I have the "phantom rudder syndrome" when flying foamy park jets too! I can hardly fly a plane without rudder. Feels weird.

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Can someone post a pic of this "rudder" you speak off?

***Caution- the following is an attempt to highlight a very real issue in our hobby through the use of humor and sarcasm. It is not intended to offend anyone. Enjoy.

This "rudder" you speak of is an elusive devise. Normally found dormant on model fields. However they become active when marauding swarms of radicals takeover localized areas and begin buzzing around like maniacs flying in straight lines, rolling on axial planes, looping on the sides of airplane fuselages (who ever heard of such things?) and actually hovering and flying around hanging on the prop. When they are finished, these crazed flying hellions land straight (even in cross winds) or if in really crazy moods vertically with no ground roll at all. Before being hurdled off by the "dormant" tribes they are asked by some "how?, how is this done?" In the distance the puzzled ones hear faint responses as the crazies run off- "3D", "full use of ALL control surfaces", "energy management by moving the throttle", "practice with foamies and simulators", "precision flying"...
The tribe returns to the flight line perplexed and begins to fly and reluctantly grabbing hold of the left gimbal (or right if across the seas) even after takeoff and start murmuring "those crazy hellions may have something"!
What? What? It's time to wake up. Oh I'm sorry dear I was just dreaming about models again.

Hope it caused a smile or laugh! Share your skill and knowledge with a "less informed". Pass on the "secret" of the rudder.

dth7

[MENTION=769]dth7[/MENTION] - delightful --- great to know that I am not the only one who is three clicks out of trim ;-)

Glad you liked my light hearted "rudder rant". Pay it forward and teach an old dog (or by all means a new pup but they are often teaching us!) a new trick! Or an old trick that was never taught in the first place or worse when "taught" was told would make them go blind!

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

Totally on board with this Daren! I begin teaching my new students about the rudder on day one, and I insist they fly consistent patterns regardless of wind direction. Get 'em early and they'll never know different! The old dogs, that's a harder challenge. Our older crowd wants a geotext runway put in...I told them that they wouldn't be able to land on it if it was there...this year, I'm going to spray paint a runway on our grass field and challenge them to land on it! ;) Then they'll have to use the left stick!

dth7

Totally on board with this Daren! I begin teaching my new students about the rudder on day one, and I insist they fly consistent patterns regardless of wind direction. Get 'em early and they'll never know different! The old dogs, that's a harder challenge. Our older crowd wants a geotext runway put in...I told them that they wouldn't be able to land on it if it was there...this year, I'm going to spray paint a runway on our grass field and challenge them to land on it! ;) Then they'll have to use the left stick!

Beautiful! I love it. You are absolutely correct. What a great idea- painting a runway. Both from a reality check and a financial justification. The phrase "build it and they will land on it" may not apply here! Keep up the positive aircraft control fight. Hey, a new acronym- "PAC"
If you want to fly 3D, XA, IMAC or F3A you best learn PAC!

alawson999

70cc twin V2
While flying a 6 oz foamie, I was challenged on "safety" because I routinely did harrier landings at my feet. Guess it is unsafe if you don't have to walk a while to get it.

AKfreak

150cc
Check out http://www.rcdude.com/
do a search for "6mm prop", they have 3 choices. They are also really fast shipping, and usually only charge 3-4 bucks for a small USPS package like that. Been a while since I ordered from them, but they were always reasonable.
Great source for props too..

I
Thanks, and you know I have bought stuff from them before. I don't know why I didn't remember them. Again many thanks, AKf