• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
I've had this recommended by several people as a first balsa kit. Everything pre-cut and ready to be glued together. Plus, it's supposed to be a pretty nice basic pattern ship. Might be a project for the long and bitter Northeast winter!

http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=620

That's really cool but $135? I could get a similar thing ARF for $150.........I wish kits were cheaper. I would absolutely LOVE to see 3DHS sell a few smaller planes (42 slick, 48 edge) as kits for maybe 25% off.

quadracer

100cc
The 3DRCForums -OFF TOPIC- Thread

I could "kit" one for you. :D
It might require some Popsicle sticks for the build....

njswede

150cc
That's really cool but $135? I could get a similar thing ARF for $150.........I wish kits were cheaper. I would absolutely LOVE to see 3DHS sell a few smaller planes (42 slick, 48 edge) as kits for maybe 25% off.

Well, that's exactly what my kit building friends keep telling me: The cost with covering and everything is about double that of an ARF. I guess it's because ARFs are mass produced in much larger quantities.

G.P.

70cc twin V2
Building kits is not practical financially. You might be surprised and find it enjoyable though. I find it relaxing and something to pass the time during our long winters when it's not fun to fly.

The down side is that once you've put that much time into an airframe, it's hard to huck it with reckless abandon. ;)

njswede

150cc
Building kits is not practical financially. You might be surprised and find it enjoyable though. I find it relaxing and something to pass the time during our long winters when it's not fun to fly.

The down side is that once you've put that much time into an airframe, it's hard to huck it with reckless abandon. ;)

Yeah... I'm really REALLY thinking of building something this winter. I have my eyes on that Mountain Model Firestorm because it is supposedly easy to build, but also because it's more of an aerobatically capable sports plane and not something you would huck around like a madman. Perfect for those days when you want to relax and (kids, cover your eyes, because I'm about to say a bad word) fly circles. :)

...I would also imagine it gives a lot of satisfaction to fly something you built yourself!

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Check out the stevens aero Edge 540 or Cap 232. 50in. WS and fully 3D capable. Just pricey at $190 a kit :eek: BTW you would be able to do some nice uplines and downlines and rifle rollers with the firestorm, not just circle flying.

Santi8

70cc twin V2
The 3DRCForums -OFF TOPIC- Thread

I built the Stevens aero groove g-480! Gave it to a buddy to cover and he flew it for a while! Flew really nice, but it was 2004 so I can't recall what it was like compared to the newest models!

SteveT.

100cc
The other problem with building a kit as opposed to buying an ARF, is building a kit "straight"!! ARF models are built in fixtures/cradles/jigs (whichever term you prefer) so that they are built straight (yes, occasionally, you can get something that has warped after the build due to various circumstances), but by and large they are straight. And...They are also built by people that do this "day in and day out" so, they know the "ins and outs" of the model. If you only build one, you will not know the little tricks that make it easier to build. I could go on and on, on this subject, but I'm sure you get what I am saying..

SteveT