• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
I haven't seen any manufacturer bully people the way HK does. How many people are here because they were trolled on the other site? I'm all for having fun but I don't like when I'm blackballed for either using or refusing to use a certain product.

Agree....I don't think the copying is the issue. I don't have strong feelings either way about the copy debate. I know I wouldn't personally cite copying and stealing schemes, as has been said here, as my reason to not buy from HK. None of the copies are 1 for 1 copies but they are still copies. That Viper has a number of differences from the 3DHS plane just like the EME differences. And Skywing absolutely copies schemes too. Again not 1 for 1. So my takeaway from here is copying is ok as long as its not HK.

The EF extra scheme is/was inspired from N73KG which is an Extra 300SC based off the registration but looks like a 330SC to me but its in a blue scheme and EF transferred it over to red as well. EF also put it on a 300 and/or 300EXP both with 2 seat configuration and not 1 seat like the full scale one. So I don't see a problem if somebody wants to put that kind of scheme on a different model like a slick.

87132_1314774323.jpg

The 3dhs extra scheme was inspired by D-EXMD which is red and its on a 330SC but I don't know of a full scale yellow/blue version because 3dhs just changed the colors like how ef changed the colors on N73KG.

93665.jpg

I do like having planes that resemble full scale one including the scheme. Thats why I painted the landing gear on my 103" to match the D-EXMD and I'm going to get graphics made up to closely resemble the full scale one. A club about an hour away does scale contests every year which I enjoy so thats where the 103 will be competing at this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
So did you love it?

Aren't the crack yaks great? I've had mine for about 10 flights and what a confidence builder for rollers. Really performs much better than the Edge IMO. Makes better lines and really rolls! Just fun.

As for the copy/ copyright issues. Schemes are usually taken from full scale inspirations so that's not an issue of copying a design. If there's a copyright on the scheme that's another story. Design fraud is a touchy subject for sure. I'm not sure what kind of protections are out there but I'm guessing many model manufacturers don't patent their designs. If that's the case it's up to the market to judge and determine the "winner". Not saying legal is always "right". All industries deal with "knock offs". Why should the hobby industry be any different. You be the judge with your $. Whatever you choose have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jwmav528

70cc twin V2
Aren't the crack yaks great? I've had mine for about 10 flights and what a confidence builder for rollers. Really performs much better than the Edge IMO. Makes better lines and really rolls! Just fun.

As for the copy/ copyright issues. Schemes are usually taken from full scale inspirations so that's not an issue of copying a design. If there's a copyright on the scheme that's another story. Design fraud is a touchy subject for sure. I'm not sure what kind of protections are out there but I'm guessing many model manufacturers don't patent their designs. If that's the case it's up to the market to judge and determine the "winner". Not saying legal is always "right". All industries deal with "knock offs". Why should the hobby industry be any different. You be the judge with your $. Whatever you choose have fun!

I agree!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It

The Crack Yak is a must have foamy IMHO. I have enjoyed the other three brands that I had including the TH Xtra Slick but the CY is on the top.

gyro

GSN Contributor
And just in case anyone else wants to question why we at 3DRCForums despise HobbyKing, you can look no further than this example right here from RCG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24557414&postcount=31707

sukhoi26mx said:
No one does. Ask Chris how that went the first time around with Sammy (TOC1). Also, when you have a USA company like RCG actively engaging with and allowing (actively endorsing) a company like HK that shamelessly steals and promotes others designs on the very website that benefited dramatically from our original involvement (think SA, MM, 3DHS, EF, etc...), you've got a company (RCG) that has lost sight of what it originally was. I'm done here. I'm also done with the hobby in any commercial sense. Did you see the multi-page HK spread in Model Aviation's last issue? I simply can't be a part of this any longer. I've had the pleasure to interact with lots of really great people, Ben, Thayer, Bill, Doug, Arron, etc. For that I'm grateful. Good luck fellas.

Scott

Good job HK & RCG, you've sucessfully chased one of the best RC designers out of our 3D community. Shameful.

Turnerm

50cc
And just in case anyone else wants to question why we at 3DRCForums despise HobbyKing, you can look no further than this example right here from RCG.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24557414&postcount=31707

Good job HK & RCG, you've sucessfully chased one of the best RC designers out of our 3D community. Shameful.

I completely agree. HK is just getting bolder and bolder and it's because places like RCG enable them. It's really sad. Actually, you said it best - it's just downright shameful.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
This is a reply I made to Scotts point about that spread in the AMA magazine.

That spread in Model Aviation made me sick and thank you Scott for your points.

I work for Nike Golf and we and the rest of the industry fight this all of the time. Without going into it in any detail (I need to keep my blood pressure down) let me tell you this story. I/we travel to China several times a year and I have gone into the rip-off shopping centers and it is amazing from glasses to phones. Their culture is to rip-off not innovate, plain and simple. The funny part was that we all wear Nike Golf shirts and we could actually buy the rip-off shirts for less than having our cleaned at the hotel.