• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
Quick poll. I have two Spektrum RX's already and want a new radio. I don't mind switching brands as I only have the two. I can get the 14SG for $500 or the DX9 for $450. What should I go for?

I have a 14SG and love it. It feels fantastic and performance has been great with helis, airplanes, and gliders. The build quality is much better than the old 8FG and the ergonomics are also improved quite a bit.

However, receivers are quite a bit more expensive than Spektrum (even the FASST-compatible FrSky receivers, which work fantastic, are 28 bucks), and there are no PowerSafe style Futaba receivers available.

Extra channels will come in handy with 100cc+ sized airplanes.

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
I have a 14SG and love it. It feels fantastic and performance has been great with helis, airplanes, and gliders. The build quality is much better than the old 8FG and the ergonomics are also improved quite a bit.

However, receivers are quite a bit more expensive than Spektrum (even the FASST-compatible FrSky receivers, which work fantastic, are 28 bucks), and there are no PowerSafe style Futaba receivers available.

Extra channels will come in handy with 100cc+ sized airplanes.

Thanks for the feedback! At this point I'm between the 14SG and the Aurora 9X. Coming down to cost initially and for RX's. If I find change in the couch cushions I'll get the 14SG ;)

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm loving my A9x fyi ;) It can do everything you will likely ever need and it is very easy to program etc. Whatever you get it will be a big improvement I'm sure :D

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
I'm loving my A9x fyi ;) It can do everything you will likely ever need and it is very easy to program etc. Whatever you get it will be a big improvement I'm sure :D

That's for sure :/ I've lost too many "Vehicles" with that radio. Maybe I just got a lemon

I had a A9 and never had any of the weird issues others had. The latency did get to me once I tried 11ms on the DX8. When the DX18 came along and the ergonomics just worked for me I sold all the hitec gear. Also model match and powersafes RXs keep me a spektrum fan. Futaba service is downright horrible, while hitec and horizon are the best in the industry.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
On the A9x the latency issue is a thing of the past. Model match isnt that compelling for me personally. The powersafe rx is cool though. Ergonomics and gimbals make a big difference. As far as I am concerned the A9x shines in both of those areas... not to mention the backlit lcd touch screen programming that is so intuitive a beginner couldn't screw up on basic setup.

Binding the A9 was kind of a pain sometimes... the A9x has an updated method that does not require a restart on the radio. Just power cycle the rx and it just works.

I have several hours of flight time on mine now and would recommend it to anyone looking for a new setup.

I am loving my 14sg.. I think a 3 year old could set up a plane on it.. its Stupid Simple... Btw

SAVE A PLANE FLY FUTABA

LOL had to do it.. but hey Everything has there perks and their downs.. anymore they are all good radios.. its just what your used to, how good the customer service is and what your in need of

just my two cents

The A9 programming is wonderful. The ergonomics just fit me personally better on the DX-18 and I believe Hitec has gone above and beyond on the latency issue with the A9X. I like the look of the new Laser radios and the SPC port is a wonderful thing. The voice system in the new Spektrums is better than the voice module with the A9. There are pro and cons with any radio system and I think the A9X is a decent choice in the $400 radio market.

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
The A9 programming is wonderful. The ergonomics just fit me personally better on the DX-18 and I believe Hitec has gone above and beyond on the latency issue with the A9X. I like the look of the new Laser radios and the SPC port is a wonderful thing. The voice system in the new Spektrums is better than the voice module with the A9. There are pro and cons with any radio system and I think the A9X is a decent choice in the $400 radio market.

I do like the amazing latency improvement. I did get some hands on time with an A9X when flying Kim Quennette's H9 Extra. It felt really natural, and I could feel a difference in speed.